Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OX 9.2.2 on a G5?

OX 9.2.2 on a G5?

I'm finally getting around to setting up a computer to run my Creo Eversmart. A G4 someone gave me croaked. The scanner requires a scsi card and the scanner software I need to use will not run on OSX. I have a line on a really good G5. Any thoughts? I'm guessing no?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: OX 9.2.2 on a G5?

Kirk,

G5's cannot boot OS 9, but can run OS 9 applications in the "Classic Environment". The only way to know if your app will run successfully is to load it and give it a try. Getting a SCSI card to function on the G5 should work, but I've had trouble in the past. I'm not sure though if it was the card or the operator causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

The SCSI card won't be the problem, as long as it is the right SCSI card. As Alan notes, the software could be a problem. If it will run in Classic mode then all is well. However, in your case it may also be a problem of incompatibility of the firmware with the G5 system.

This chart from Kodak should help: http://graphics1.kodak.com/us/produc.../g5_macosx.htm

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I'm finally getting around to setting up a computer to run my Creo Eversmart. A G4 someone gave me croaked. The scanner requires a scsi card and the scanner software I need to use will not run on OSX. I have a line on a really good G5. Any thoughts? I'm guessing no?
    I face the same dilemma with my scanner and the software upgrade to OS X runs $850 which I will eventually purchase. For now I am keeping my dual boot G4, upgrading to the fastest processor (the backplane is still 133mhz ouch!) and 1g of memory.

You could have a problem installing software. I found with some older software that I wanted to run that the old installer CD would not function, though when I drag copied the application off another older computer, the application ran without trouble.

In general, it is easier to go with 10.3.9, because by the 10.4 variations the Classic Environment became more broken. Unfortunately, I think all G5 computers came with some version of 10.4. The only real software workaround is doing drag copy instead of using an installer CD.

Another option for SCSI is the Ratoc FR1SX FireWire to SCSI converter. There are not many tested configurations, though this device seems to work with many scanners. Termination settings, and whether or not you need to optional power adapter, can be issues. There is also an FR1 Utility, which is not super user friendly at times. Definitely not ideal, but it does work.

Your other option is to get another G4, run it only as high as 10.3.9, and use that as a scanning station. You could network it to your primary computer, so the files would be easier to access when needed.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You could call Baucom and get you another G4 maybe. So cheap it might be worth doing. If your failed G4's hard drive is OK, you could just get the "new" G4 from Baucom and swap out it's hard drive for your old one and boot the baby up maybe. I've done that with Macs. Never been so lucky with a PC though.

Bruce Watson

G5 Macs were definately released with earlier software than 10.4. When I got mine, it had 10.2 on it.

Gene are you still checking your email?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Jim Ewins

Why would anyone wish to run OS9 on a newer machine?

Because some of the older, still serviceable, professional scanners, which are now pennies on the original dollar, have software that will not run on anything newer than OX 9.2.2 or whatever OS was around when they obsolesced a piece of equipment and stopped updating the software. I was hoping, for space sake, to not have to set up yet another work station solely dedicated to the scanner.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: