Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curses to the Yosemite Webcams!!!!

Curses to the Yosemite Webcams!!!!

Looking at the meadow cam -- sunny and 51 F, thick snow on the meadow (no grass showing), the wind kicking up snow on the top of Half Dome -- and I want to be there!

I will be there in a month and a half (Feb 27 or 28 to March 2 or 3), but I am whinning because I want to be there now!

I was fortunate enough to get a photo accepted into the Yosemite Renaissance Competition/Show (a multi-media show) and I am going to the show's opening on Friday Feb 29th. We'll see if there is any snow (old, fresh or otherwise) there then!

Anyone else thinking of being in the Valley around then? I'll be the THO (tall hairy one) with the 8x10.

Vaughn

Re: Curses to the Yosemite Webcams!!!!

I'll be there the week before... also with 8x10.

I just returned from Badger Pass skiing with a bunch of 10 year olds. It was a brisk windy day. Best of all was looking down at all the fog in the central valley and El Portal. Come on clouds, start playing with the light. Vaughn I'm sure I'll see you at the Yosemite Renaissance. Once again I missed the dead line for submission. I'll look for your work - your a dedicated photographer to carry that 8x10 - I still think my 2x3 view camera is a monster! I appreciate your passion.

Hi, hope to see others at the reception Fri. Feb 29th from 5:30-7:30. I submitted photo. (I wasn't exactly sure what type of work they want.)

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Sakols View Post
    I just returned from Badger Pass skiing with a bunch of 10 year olds. It was a brisk windy day. Best of all was looking down at all the fog in the central valley and El Portal. Come on clouds, start playing with the light. Vaughn I'm sure I'll see you at the Yosemite Renaissance. Once again I missed the dead line for submission. I'll look for your work - your a dedicated photographer to carry that 8x10 - I still think my 2x3 view camera is a monster! I appreciate your passion.
    It seems to be the only exercise I get these days (and not often enough!) Actually, it is only 60 pounds of stuff...25% of my body weight. Back in the good old days, I carried 80 to 85 pounds (4x5 camera and gear/food for 11 days in the wilderness). No way can I do that now! In Yosemite I tend to spend half the time on the Valley Floor and the other half hiking up creeks and such. Hiking to the base of Ribbon Fall is a SOB with large format and the lungs of someone living on the coast!

You are the second photographer that I have heard that missed the entry date. No wonder I got a photo in -- less competition! Actually, only 8% of the entries were accepted into the show this year -- a lot of entries must have been submitted. And since it is all media (except videos and perfomance pieces), it would be a tough show to judge...and it is juried fromy projected slides and jpegs. At least the awards are judged using the real thing.

Jon -- did you get in? Those are really great images -- especially the hortizontal! It is hard to determine what gets in. Pieces are actually juried in (that is, it is a group decision), with emphisis on a personal approach to Yosemite and the Sierras (as they say in the prospectus) Just pretty pictures are not enough. I remember one photo that got an award was a still life of tofu carved in the shape of Half Dome! So ya never know!

Vaughn

PS...Hugh...I have three 10 year olds (boys) and I am coaching a basketball team of 10 year olds. I am definitely leaving all ten year olds behind on this trip!

Vaughn, yes the Merced River picture got in. Congrats to you also for getting in!

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Congrats to both of you!

And what a sweet image of the Merced, Jon. What is your contribution this year Vaughn?

I'll miss the opening again, as my visit is two weeks early. Wish I had time to hang out.

Michael E. Gordon

I was fortunate enough, too, Vaughn! See you guys on Feb. 29!

My photo:

Also very nice Michael. If these are any indication, it looks to be a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    Congrats to both of you!

And what a sweet image of the Merced, Jon. What is your contribution this year Vaughn?

I'll miss the opening again, as my visit is two weeks early. Wish I had time to hang out.
    Sorry I'll miss your visit!

I tore the hosue apart looking for the CD with my entry on it -- could not find it. But here was last years piece I had in the show until I can find this years...

It is the base of Bridalveil Fall, 8x10 carbon print (single transfer carbon printing reverses the image)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BASE OF BRIDALVEIL FALLS.jpg