Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lower cost scanner for 4x5 slides

Re: Lower cost scanner for 4x5 slides

I have a Canon 9950f and am more than happy with it, around the same cost as a 4990 afaikr.

Gari

stompyq - i dont think that scanner will cover 4x5 in one pass???? if it will please let me know. but from what i can see on epsons and others website - it will cover the width of two strips of 35mm film + holder. i am in the same spot with my epson scanner I have now - its fine for 120, but anything wider and you have to devise a holder for the 4x5 film, and scan one side of the film, then flip it, scan the other side - then stitch it in PS. alot of work considering with a proper scanner you could scan a sheet of 4x5 in 30 seconds by just pressing go.

As I post this (Monday, 1:20pm Eastern time), Epson is showing refurbished 4990's in their Clearance Center.

Old School Wayne

Those are 4490s

On my screen, the 2nd scanner in the 2nd row has this name: Epson Perfection 4990 PHOTO - Refurbished. (That's copied-and-pasted from the site.) It's still there as of now. The link on the scanner name goes to: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63063319

god damn, someone beat me to it, but it was there for sure. i saw it, ordered it, but by the time i could fill in my credit card info, it was sold and now they are out again.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moeller View Post
    On my screen, the 2nd scanner in the 2nd row has this name: Epson Perfection 4990 PHOTO - Refurbished. (That's copied-and-pasted from the site.) It's still there as of now. The link on the scanner name goes to: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63063319
    You were right Dave, I saw it too.

Wayne

I see 4990's on eBay every few days, BUT

people are bidding them up to V700 prices... every time.

Quote Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
    What about the EPSON Perfection V200 it looks like a cheaper alternative to the v700 with out all the fancy software?
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25636.html
    It only takes 35mm negs. You have to start at V700 to get 4x5 capability.

//Björn

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve barry View Post
    god damn, someone beat me to it, but it was there for sure. i saw it, ordered it, but by the time i could fill in my credit card info, it was sold and now they are out again.
    Sorry, Steve. That was me.

If it's any solace at all, it took me a near-miss a few months back to land one myself -- saw one in inventory, and mulled it over just long enough to miss it. Since I had already pre-registered this time round with my shipping address, it was just a matter of logging in and adding payment info.

Also, for future reference, when I tried to order earlier in the day yesterday, I couldn't get the scanner to load in my cart, but kept checking back. I thought I'd missed the boat again, but when I re-visited later, refurbed 4990's were still listed. WTH! Maybe Epson had a small multiple of refurbs that they listed in succession, or something like that...who knows? In short, if it's listed, but won't load in your cart, persist and you may luck out like I did.

~Mark