Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just one lens?

Re: Just one lens?

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    snip
    It's my intention to branch out, but I wanted something basic to start. I'd like something flexible to learn with.snip

In that case, I reaffirm my vote for a 150mm/5.6 in a Copol 0 shutter.. A relatively large image circle, so one can learn the camera movements without too much trouble, as Eric mentioned. A good opportunity to learn to see photographically close to what our eyes see. Light weight (1/5 pound). Relatively cheap (such as a Caltar II-N) on the used market. A good all-around lens, that one can eventually diviate from and appreciate going longer or shorter from.

A second choice would be a 180mm. A little heavier, often in a Copol 1 shutter. But would be a little better suited for portraits, while still very good for landscapes.

Vaughn

135mm 4.7 xenar. Cheap, sharp, great bokeh.

I just switched from a 150 to a 135 but it hardly matters. Either or.

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    re: Is it your plan to shoot with one landscape lens from here to eternity, or will you eventually branch out?

It's my intention to branch out, but I wanted something basic to start. I'd like something flexible to learn with. Quotes like "I find myself grabbing the 150" to be revealing.
    Then consider where you want to end up; consider filter size, and the beauty of a quiver that manages with 52mm filters. I'm deep into glass (not like our friend from Norway) with some regret. If I had it to do over again I would find a 90mm f8 Nikon, start with the 135mm Rodenstock, find a 200mm Nikon, and buy a 300mm Fuji/find a 300mm Nikon.

Notice that this four lens kit is conspicuously void of three of the finest lenses out there: the 110mm from Schneider (it's relatively heavy for field work and takes larger filters), the 150mm APO-S (the 135mm is probably as good, and its smaller IC doesn't compromise landscape work as it would other disciplines), and the 240mm f9 Fuji (where I started and probably a major source of GAS because of its odd focal length). Which bring us back to the three lens kit: the 110,150,240; notice the room on either end for expansion to a five lens kit.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

For years I just used a 210. Then I started seeing things wider and got a 120, which I used most of the time.

I don't think it's about the subject; it's about the way you like to look at it.

Beyond that, if you have just one lens, it will train you to start seeing the world the way it sees it (for better and for worse).

HHHMMMM? i only have one lens, a 165mm tessar for my 4x5......so i guess that lens.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Probably the 110
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

any modern 135mm plasmat from Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock, or Schneider.

I suppose another thing to consider (tho it does not have to be the deciding factor) is on the camera /format you use now, do you have a "favorite" focal length lens for landscapes?

I started out in photography with a Rollei TLR with a non-interchangable normal 80mm lens. This provided some influence for having one normal length lens (150mm) for 4x5 work. But I can see where someone regularly using a 28mm or 35mm lens with a 35mm camera might gravitate towards a 110mm lens (or shorter) for 4x5.

This may have less influence if one will be doing a whole different type of imagery with the 4x5 than one did with smaller formats. Personally, I found myself using the TLR like a LF camera, so moving up to 4x5 with the equivilent normal lens to be quite normal, so to speak.

Vaughn

Doug Dolde

This is a repeat question asked long ago. But my answer is the same Schneider 110mm Super Symmar XL.