Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Film holder manufacturer

Re: Film holder manufacturer

CP, Brubaker had both a holder and a back to measure from. In your previous post you said I had two backs and insinuated that I may have sent one and I'm trying to show others here the other back. And the trays were returned because the glue holding them together didn't hold and they did leak like a sieve. Plus you are correct in that they didn't fit my sink and this is after me giving him exact measurements of length, width and depth And it is 4 holders not two I edited that typo 30 seconds after posting. I'm glad to see you are waiting with baited breath for my posts Also Alan said return the holders and he would make it right. I also told him I would send him one of my backs. He also said he would see what he could do about the slop in the gate. Then he called back and asked for both backs. So I proceeded in removing the ground glass for shipping. I then took exact measurements and called him back with the discrepancies. This is when he changed his mind again about fixing the filmgate slop. He had no intention of fixing the holders he wanted my two backs so he could mill the backs to fit the holders. I paid for holders to fit my back not mill my back to fit his holders. That is what is meant by custom fit holders. Plus four sheets of film being able to load in a single side, allowing enough slop where the film is on the verge of falling out of the film rail is hardly acceptable by me. And in comparing them to some of his older holders none of the older holders allowed this type of slop. Like I said I'll post pics of both backs with holders loaded. Robert

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...0189828...Here are both backs. You can tell the vertical from the horizontal by the location of back mounting pins. You will also notice for him to mill the top rib handle so it would clear he would have to mill right through the screws on the rib mounting plate. This is why he wanted me to send both of my backs so he could mill my backs instead and he made no mention to me that is what he had in mind to do when he requested I send both backs. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by CP Goerz View Post
    Rob_5419

I've read his posts here AND on Apug, what did I miss?

CP Goerz
    Are you serious? What did you miss? How about the fact that the holders have too much space between the septum and the film slots? How about that even with the Wisner back AWB could not make the top rib clear the edge and the holders are not flush with the back?

I could understand the rib not clearing if Robert had ordered the holders with no other requirements, but come on, he takes the trouble to send the back so he can have perfect holders and this is what he gets? It is cool you are standing up for your friend, but then, sometimes friends have to be honest and tell each other the truth. If you cannot see that these are very bad holders then I think your friendship is blinding you.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    You give a quarter crank on the z-axis instead of a full crank.
    This is pretty nebulous so I thought I provide some illustration. I cut the center septum slot with a 1/16 cutter. To cut the film slots, all you do is back the fence away to lessen the depth of the cutter, then raise the cutter head (z-axis) a partial crank to shave a little rabbet there. Once the septum is in place, a slot for the film is formed. So it's not like you need a super thin cutter or a lot of special skills. The CAD drawing shows a section view with and without the septum in place. In the photo I'm milling the septum and haven't moved the fence depth yet.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 24-Sep-2008 at 16:37.

This is pretty nebulous so I thought I provide some illustration. I cut the center septum slot with a 1/16 cutter. To cut the film slots, all you do is back the fence away to lessen the depth of the cutter, then raise the cutter head (z-axis) a partial crank to shave a little rabbet there. Once the septum is in place, a slot for the film is formed. So it's not like you need a super thin cutter or a lot of special skills. The CAD drawing shows a section view with and without the septum in place. In the photo I'm milling the septum and haven't moved the fence depth yet.
    Pretty nifty Colin....

Thanks Jorge. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I did want to illustrate why I couldn't understand the slop in the AWB holders. The tolerances aren't hard to achieve.

Thanks Jorge. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I did want to illustrate why I couldn't understand the slop in the AWB holders. The tolerances aren't hard to achieve.
    I don't think you are highjacking the thread. In fact it is a very illustrative point as to why we are all at a loss as to why the holders have so much play. In addition from your picture we can see you are cutting along the grain, once the spline is glued to the frame piece it would expand across the grain, so wood expansion shoudl not be a problem.

True. Plus, movement tends to be from the center out, so it seems like seasonal changes at this scale would be on the order of thousandths of an inch, especially with well seasoned quarter-sawn wood.

Just to reiterate though, I'm not a holder making expert, this was my first go at it. I'm sure AWB has his reasons, I'm just really curious about what they could be.

True. Plus, movement tends to be from the center out, so it seems like seasonal changes at this scale would be on the order of thousandths of an inch, especially with well seasoned quarter-sawn wood.
    Exactly, besides who cares?!? The expansion would only make the spline wider not thicker. Maybe you should go into the holder making bussiness..

Thanks for posting this Colin. It is good to be reassured that closer tolerances can be obtained. Because in all the other holders I own the film gates are a lot tighter. Robert