Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to large format

Re: New to large format

If you use a Unicolor processor you don't even need space for trays----just a dark changing bag or tent or home made contraption big enough to unload your holders and load a unicolor drum. Check the LF Homepage for the article on Unicolor drums---it's written for 4x5 but it does a good job with 8x10 too.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome from Vancouver in the Canadian Rockies, Joan; I've been itching to plunge into 8x10 but I'm not sure my (repaired) back can handle it. Great to have you here.
    How big and heavy is your Dorf anyway? Cheers, Uri

Welcome from DK
    I'm new to LF myself since I bought a 5X7 Sinar Norma Monorail just a couple of months ago. My reason for going LF was the lack of a proper darkroom. I have a bathroom I can black out with some cardboard in the windows and a tovel over the keyhole in the door. A piece of kitchen table plate on the bathtub is my wet area where I develop films and sometimes paper when doing contacts. I use a Paterson Orbital processor for my filmdevelopment and it works fine as long as I don't have too many negs to develop, It will take one 8X10", two 5X7" or four 4X5" so no bulkprocessing here
    The nice thing about LF is that it actually needs less darkroom equipment than 35mm or 120. No need of an enlarger or a table to put that on and since the Orbital processor takes less than 100ml dev, stop and fix I don't need that much glassware, chemistry or water when developing. Loading and unloading the filmholders is very easy too on http://www.rogerandfrances.com/ you will find a module on the subject and on http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/...ideo-tutorial/ there is a very good video showing how.
    Kind regards
    Søren

Hi Joan,
    Welcome to the LF Universe! I am in the East Bay area, (although "original home" is much closer to you, Marysville). If you want some hands-on help I would be willing. You can come this way and get a darkroom tour or we can arrange up in your direction. You don't mention much in terms of your photo craft background. There are many good tutorials, but personally I do much better with "show&tell+try"!

I shoot 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10 and process in Jobo expert drums.

PM me if you are interested. You missed a great opportunity last weekend at Per Volquartz Joshua Tree workshop.

Cheers,
    Geary

Hi Joan,

Another greeting from Vancouver, BC in Canada... welcome to the forum!

Look for the following books:

1. Using the View Camera - Steve Simmons

2. Large Format Nature Photography & The View Camera - Jack Dykinga

3. Using The View Camera - Jim Stone

All of these books will teach you the basics of using the LF camera.

Good luck and have fun learning...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!