Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: your favorite inkjet paper

jetcode

your favorite inkjet paper

and why - I just started up a ipf5100 here and have only tested the roll of premium matte that came with it. Matte blacks don't have the kind of dmax I really like though I must say the prints are excellent and the detail is pretty amazing. Has anyone tried the Hahnemuhle Bayarta paper?

Joe

Re: your favorite inkjet paper

Paper of the month here is Hahnemühle Museum Etching, a 350gsm natural white rag paper with a beautiful texture/feel. Great gamut (as profiled by me) and acceptable Dmax. This for colour. For B&W (I don't do much) I've been impressed by Crane Museo Portfolio Rag: smooth, impressive white for no OBAs, great DMax. Both printed on an Epson. Dunno how either of these would go on Canon (or HP).

Convert to LF

Could be for me the new Ilford GALERIE Gold Fibre Silk, a traditional baryta fibre based media coated (works great for BW).

For classic B&W, we have just switched to Fotospeed Platinum Gloss - absolutely wonderful, we are getting more favourable comments for this than any other paper so far.

I have been getting great results with Lexjet sunset fibre elite.
    http://www.lexjet.com/lexjet/newslet...sExclusive.asp
    It is very smooth, has a great gloss yet has a nice warmth and wonderful dmax.
    I have been printing it on a epson 7800 with image print and their profile.

One vote for Ilford GALERIE Gold Fibre Silk if printing color
    One vote for the Moab Colorado Fiber for b/w

Both are on 7800 and 9800s

Joe, someone's "favorite" paper is always going to be someone else's "awful" paper. Beyond that I don't imagine most people have a single favorite paper for all images. I know I commonly use 6 and have probably another 4-5 I use for special purposes. Further you need to specify color or black & white, matte or gloss, weight, etc.

Having said all that, now that I have been testing the baryta based papers for a couple of months and getting ready to write an article, I can say that I generally prefer these papers, as a class, for black and white images. Which paper still depends on the image, they have the look and feel of air dried fiber papers with; some with a bit more gloss and some with a bit more texture. I'm not sure how I feel about them for color. The last batch of color prints I made for sale/exhibition I printed, for the most part on Hahnemühle heavy weight Photo Rag. A couple were printed on Red River Aurora.

For a very small investment you can get sample packs from all the major paper manufacturers and find out for yourself what you might like best. IIRC, you can also get a sample pack from Shades of Paper (www.shadesofpaper.com) that includes sheets of their bestsellers from several different manufacturers. IMO, this is one area where you really are going to have to make your own tests and decisions.

I've found Crane's Silver Rag an excellent choice for both B&W and color on a 7800 with Photoblack ink and the standard Epson Luster profile.

I've been using the Hahnemuehle Fine Art pearl lately and have been happy with that.
    Also am testing the new Harmon (Ilford) glossy on my 7800. I want to try the lexjet paper at some point though.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

The two favorite papers here are Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl and Crane Museo Portfolio Rag. Both are printed on a 9800 with an Image Print RIP using phatt black profiles.