Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisner Mfg. Co. Status???

Re: Wisner Mfg. Co. Status???

Hi Asher,

No, I don't supply their glass, it has been quite a while since I sold anyone in China any screens, I imagine they are doing their own on site.

Dave

So is Wisner out of business, or is he doing some other wood working projects and just very few cameras and accessories? It seems to me that if you're good with wood, you have to turn down business. It's hard to imagine "being out of business" unless you sell the workshop.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
    It's hard to imagine "being out of business" unless you sell the workshop.

Jay
    Actually it is not hard to imagine at all. You just need to look at things from an independent business owner's perspective.

There is a reason that things happen positively and negatively in life and in business as randon events rarely if ever occur.

The reason that we business owners get up each morning and do our thing to hustle a buck is because we have a considerable incentive to do so. This same incentive is why we treat customers with respect and care is to succeed in the long term. If you are in a business that requires capital equipment then naturally on the advice of a competent CPA you are writing off this equipment over time in the form of depreciation that lowers your tax exposure.

I do not have intimate knowledge of Wisners specific business but we know based upon reading articles of his operations in photographic magazines that he needs a number of large pieces of equipment to make cameras. We also have heard that he has come into a sizeable inheritance and has naturally undergone a reassessment of his priorities as anyone would have done give the same set of circumstances.

Without a financial incentive to make cameras for a living the business has naturally slipped to a far lower personal priority. From a business perspective as long as you have an employee and occasionally cut wood and assemble a camera you can legally be called a business owner with all of the deductions and priviledges that this status affords you. Otherwise, you would sell the equipment, pocket the profits and sail off into the sunset. My point is that the incentive in this business model has shifted from needing to make a living in the camera manufacturing business with large numbers of employees and net camera production equal to a higher net income to using the camera business as an income preservation strategy for as long as this makes financial sense.

Wisner is living life large and good for him. The telephone and e-mail are distractions that do not mix well with sailing and Coronas on a secluded beach. Don't take it personally. There are plenty of competent alternative camera builders and Richard Ritter is available to keep things working correctly.

Cheers!

multiplex

acording to emil de leone ( one of wisner's distributers )
    wiser is still in business, he has just scaled back production ...

there was a similar post to this on apug a few weeks ago ...

[QUOTE=Asher Kelman;307950. . . . .

So to the extent that I was not clear, my apologies. Still, we are faced with the loss of the 20" wide rolls of Polaroid needed for ULF Polaroid photography.

Kind thoughts,

Asher[/QUOTE]

Finally I understand what the hell you were talking about with 16x20 Polaroids. My first thought was that you were talking about 16x20 individual sheets. Now I understand.

Polaroid still makes the 20" rolls, but you have to order direct, and it will be a large and expensive order. They make a good profit on this, so there is little reason for them not to produce it. They also have 40" rolls available, though again quite an expensive order required for them to produce it.

It is my understanding that Wisner only made a few items that utilized the 20" Polaroid films, and that he was not responsible for orders from Polaroid. You can still call Polaroid, and they are quite nice to deal with.

Also, Polaroid probably has the best track record of any photography supply company about announcing discontinuation of any of their products. Expect one year or more up front notice about any changes from them. In other words, if you don't hear it from Polaroid, then don't guess.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

polaroid? thought they went out of biz 30 years ago?

Wisner is still in business, albeit scaled way, way back. He just built a brand new workshop. I should post pics on my site but didnt get around to it yet. Also, I have some 4x5 ad 8x10 lensboards and Linhof to Wisner adapter boards in stock for sale if anyone is interested. Be prepared to wait for cameras though. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

Quote Originally Posted by e View Post
    Wisner is still in business, albeit scaled way, way back. He just built a brand new workshop. I should post pics on my site but didnt get around to it yet. Also, I have some 4x5 ad 8x10 lensboards and Linhof to Wisner adapter boards in stock for sale if anyone is interested. Be prepared to wait for cameras though. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com
    Everyone should have a friend like you Emile. All of this support in spite of the fact that it will only be once in a Blue Moon (if ever) when you have a chance to make a buck from this business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    "Without a financial incentive to make cameras for a living the business has naturally slipped to a far lower personal priority."

This has not been the excuse for the past ten or so years.

The troubling thing is that Ron "can" make the camera he advertises. For some unexplainable reason he chose not to do so more than once in a blue moon.
    What would YOU do, if you were independently wealthy? I know I would probably work less, or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    What would YOU do, if you were independently wealthy? I know I would probably work less, or not at all.
    Then, Ron should just close up shop and enjoy life. He's only hurting others by giving false hopes of supplying cameras and equipment then not backing his warranties or supplies. Ries Tripods back up their warranty and they make a fine tripod.
    I for one will not fault Ron if he wants to sit back and enjoy his wealth but then I won't support his cameras either. They're are a fine piece of equipment but without the commitment of the maker It's just a wood camera. The name Wisner Camera has been forever tarnished by Ron in my eyes.