Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Time to Couple Yosemite with Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP

Best Time to Couple Yosemite with Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP

My wife and I are hoping to get to California in the spring for two weeks and would like to visit each of these NP's. I was hoping I might get some feedback on the ideal month, realizing of course that there may be some compromise in the "optimal" time for any given park.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Best Time to Couple Yosemite with Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP

I would suggest that you visit in May. Earlier than that, and snow blocking the roads may be a problem. Later than that, and the tourists start to show up in mass, especially in Yosemite. May is the best time to see the gushing waterfalls that Yosemite is famous for. Also, the dogwoods and wildflowers will be in bloom, the temperatures will be pleasant, and the mosquitoes won't be a problem yet. Go to Yosemite first, in early May, and then make your way to Sequoia/ King's Canyon. Although you may not be able to access the high country along the Tioga Road that early, there will be plenty in and around Yosemite Valley to keep you busy, especially if this is your first trip.

The other month I would suggest, for many of the same reasons (minus the waterfalls and wildflowers) is October. Or, if you have chains and 4WD, winter is a beautiful time to be in Yosemite Valley. Just don't make the mistake of going in July or August!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Eric Woodbury

May is a beautiful time, but it used to be that Mother's Day was the busiest weekend in Yosemite. It is the time the dogwoods bloom. Also, Y/KC/S is a lot to see in 2 weeks. Try for after Mother's Day and before Memorial Day.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Any time is a fine time! The summer months will give you access to Tioga Pass and all that area has to offer but Yosemite Valley will be gridlocked. I'd opt for any time before June. Tioga has been open early a number of times so you might get lucky. If Tioga is still closed and you want a taste of the "high country" there are other passes North of Yosemite which offer a similar experience and are kept open year around to service ski areas and other communities (88 comes to mind) Also check out the Desolation and Granite Chief areas around Lake Tahoe.

Not the same of course, but still very nice. Sonora Pass is sometimes cleared before Tioga so it is worth a last minute check out before you launch.

That said, you'll find plenty to see and do in Yosemite and Kings/Sequoia in April or May so you might want to leave Tioga for another time.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I can't speak for Sequoia/Kings Canyon, but my favorite time in Yosemite is the Winter. It's already very crowded in May and only gets worse till October.

- Dan

Dave Karp

Reservations in the park are tough as many people make reservations one year in advance. You can make reservations on line at www.yosemitepark.com or call.

John is correct. Anytime in Yosemite is a great time. And if you cannot go until July or August, that is OK too. People complain about lots of people. Just walk 5 minutes in a different direction than everyone else is going and you will be alone and it will be beautiful. Or go up to the high country on the Tioga Road. There won't be so many people up there.

I like it lots in winter too.

I went to Yosemite in the 1st week of May last year. Waterfalls are great, but Glacier Point road, Tioga road are closed, the chains at the halfdome were not up. We had snow storm the last day. Not too crowdy.

The year before, I was in Sequoia during 7/4. It wasn't as crowded as I thought. Okay, I am from NYC. Minear King section does not see many visitors and it is beautiful. However, it will be cold in May there.

During the weekdays right before Memorial Day are pretty nice. Those into backpacking can hike from Tunnel View to Glacier Point -- camping on the various points and/or Sentinal Dome on the way. As soon as the Glacier Point Road opens your can't camp up there.

Vaughn

Cheers everyone for the excellent feedback. If we arrived on May 17th, would we miss the Dogwood blooms in Yosemite?

The Valley's Dogwood bloom varies from spring to spring. Some years it will start by late April or early May while other years it may not really get going until closer to Memorial Day. Don't worry, if you can manage the crowds and road construction, you will not be disappointed.

www.yosemitecollection.com