Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Orange Darkroom Walls, Why not?

Re: Orange Darkroom Walls, Why not?

I already have Allure in the living room over the good wood. I hate carpet.

I wish my living room which is now the portrait studio had the old floor and the new bedroom/Darkroom have the Allure.

The stuff is nearly indestructible and heavy objects just slide on it with no damage. Like sheets of plywood going to the Darkroom.

My last place had 12" sq ceramic tile over a new slab. It was also very tough stuff, but India Ink proved unremoveable. I left a couple spares for the new very anal owner. It's now a white on white Art Gallery for virtual movie cells. Way boring.

I bet they had a surprise when they took off my wood paneling and found 'NOT ART' on the walls.

Reflecting surfaces of white or the color of the safelight, would look the same to an observer or behave the same to light sensitive material. Personally I'd paint darkroom walls a color that the user finds appealing.

I am painting enlarger walls flat black. wet wall flat white and the white ceiling is fine.

Right now this morning I am insulating and plywood covering the only window inside and out.

The 8X10 goes right in front of the window, wall mounted.

Next, remove the obsolete electric heat...

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Reflecting surfaces of white or the color of the safelight, would look the same to an observer or behave the same to light sensitive material. Personally I'd paint darkroom walls a color that the user finds appealing.

Randy, why not put a piece of pegboard painted black behind the enlarger? That why you can hang negative carriers,etc up and still have a black non-reflective surface behind the enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Randy, why not put a piece of pegboard painted black behind the enlarger? That why you can hang negative carriers,etc up and still have a black non-reflective surface behind the enlarger.
    Dust holes!

I prefer shelving and single placed hooks.

And it's not electric heat, but old hot water. PITA

The floor does need something for dust reduction. Not poly...

I do have whole house Merv 16 Carbon Coated filter.

Since this entire thread, which I've enjoyed up to a certain point, has gone down the sewer to simple back-and-forth with one member whose
    comments I've learned to screen out, I would like to say that my small darkroom is currently, and has been, basic white ( primer), with black
    craft-paper stapled to the wall behind and beside my main enlarger.

I plan to clean out the room and spray-paint it, floor-to-ceiling, a close approximation ( as close as the Home Depot can formulate) to neutral grey.

The repeated discussions and disputes about the "Neutrality" of, or the "Reflectivity" of "18%" grey will have to be someone else's argument;
    and without referring to the resounding QUACKS of previously mentioned irritants, I've learned something from ( the early parts of ) this thread.
    which I appreciate.

Flat black around and above the enlarger. White everywhere else.

The walls behind my enlargers are roughly 18% gray and would probably do a version of yellow for my next one (if that happens). Never worked with black walls and the ones I've been in that had them, I didn't like at all. Ceilings are white to help the Thomas Duplex.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Les

Don't think this will be original, but keep what you got and isolate the enlarger with black board (art type or whatever). Sometimes in the future you can decide to paint whatever color you desire....for resale value (?). Mine is sort of aqua color and I'll just leave it alone (no point messing with a good thing).....till I feel like upgrading. Good luck choosing.

Les

FWIW, my current part time dark room (a full time WC) is painted blue with white tile and white patterned linoleum. The back splash is a large mirror. No complaints.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White