Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About Procrastination

Re: About Procrastination

I had a similar occurrence. In 2006 there was a series of two very nasty storms that blew through the area two days apart. Two of four of these big red and white steel radio towers were blown over by the wind. I noticed the wreckage when I was going to see what had happened in this one area I was shooting. It was amazing to see one of them flattened on the ground and the second one looked like someone balled it up and threw it on the ground. I always meant to get back there with my panoramic and procrastinated until I went out there with a 6x9 cm camera six months or so later and they had been cleaned up. All that was left was the concrete pad where they had been secured to the ground. I took a picture of the area anyway since I was there.

We all can relate to this, the local becomes so common to your world we don't see it until it's gone. This was the last building of a homestead on the highway to the Nisqually entrance to Mt. Rainier NP. I drove by it so often and told myself to photograph it, and didn't, until one day I did. And two years later it was gone, the whole several hundred acre site to be a resort with a golf course. This is the only photo I took.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Rio Oso shooter

I live in a farming community and this house was built by immigrants from Switzerland and had character and a natural place in the community. That was last year, now it has been replaced by a modular trailer thingy with white gravel surrounding it and no vegetation within 500 feet. I am glad to at least get a record of someone's pride and joy when they move into it some years back.

Richard

And now the other side of the coin. A few years back when I had an NEA grant to document historic New Mexico churches, I was called because a severe rain had caused the collapse of a transept wall on a church that I had not documented yet. It was about 10 days before I could get free to drive up there. To my surprise and disappointment, the whole church had been leveled. I had gotten there too late. But in the tracks of the bulldozer, I found a latin choir book open to a requiem mass. The resulting image became an icon for the preservation of these churches and my second most reproduced and selling image of all time.

Procrastination led me to one of my most important images.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, you never cease to amaze me. How anyone can get a marvelous image from a damaged book is beyond me.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Michael, the subject matter I have lost because of procrastination and extreme pickiness (the light wasn't perfect) are the ones which haunt me the most. A real sense of loss.
    My biggest photographic regret? One day, while living in New York, I spent the morning photographing the Brooklyn Bridge--my first time on this wonderful monument. The sky wasn't that interesting, so I focused more on the bridge, not the surrounding cityscape--i.e. the World Trade Center--that is withing its panorama. The next day, the towers fell.

"We photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing, and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develop and print a memory." Henri Cartier-Bresson

Richard M. Coda

I DID get this photo (not LF, though) on Sept. 13, 1981, 2 days shy of 20 years before the towers fell. I used to work there and met my wife there. Had gone in for San Genaro and took this shot in the center of the plaza after getting off the PATH trains. Sky was so overexposed I didn't think I could ever print it so it went into a box. 20 years later I remembered I had the negative and had it drum scanned, fixed the sky, and now have a beautiful print to remember them by. Although, it does bring great sadness every time I view it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

The movie "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" was filmed in Mississippi and the last scene shows George Clooney leading his family across a railroad crossing on the outskirts of town. There is an old wooden tressle in the background that caught my eye. An aunt of mine had a friend with the Mississippi Film Commission Office and they told her the location. She emailed me the location and I did a google search and there was the tressle. Two weeks later she phoned and asked if I had gone to photograph it. I said I was planning to do so Thanksgiving weekend. She then gave me the sad news that it had been demolished that afternoon. It's like the old saying, "You snooze, you lose".