Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me configure a Mac

Help me configure a Mac

Friends, I would appreciate your thoughts on a new Mac that would handle large files processed in CS3. For years I have used a Dell box and CS2 for my medium format images scanned on Nikon 9000. Generally, I will scan at native resolution in 16 bit which makes a file of approximately 450megs. Would then make copy reduced to print size at 300 dpi (usually 23"x23"), cutting the file size in about half. Even with 3 megs of ram, the CS2 work is a bit slow, particularly with layers.
    I recently purchased a Scitex scanner for my medium format images and newly acquired LF gear. Even if I scan the LF at 2000dpi it will make a 16 bit file large enough to gag the Dell. And since the Eversmart/Final Touch programs are Mac based, I will need a new Mac box. I would plan to put CS3 on it as well. So suggestions to configure a Mac that can handle what I assume would be working files of 1 gig or so? Finally, any of you out there using the newest Mac screens. They look beautiful, but I wonder about serious image editing on a glossy screen. Many thanks. David

Re: Help me configure a Mac

Get a Quad-Mac Pro, with as much memory as you can afford. But don't buy the RAM memory from Apple. They'll rip you big time. Try OtherWorldComputing for extra RAM. http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/

Photoshop is written to take advantage of parallel processors, as well as loving as much RAM as it can soak up. CS3 should fly like a rocket on a new quad machine.

Other than that, there's not much to configure. Plug and play.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...family/mac_pro
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Oh, and about them glossy screens.

Are you young or old?

All my college students love the glossing screen. Me, being the old as dirt professor, hates glossy. Why? It reflects everything in the room, so unless you work in a cave, with a black curtain behind you, get the matte screen.

That said, the blacks on a glossy screen are beautiful and deep.

But I usually print on watercolor matte style paper, so blacks are never that rich in the final print compared to a glossy screen.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Walter, thanks for your kind suggestions. My son (a computer guy at RIT) and I checked out the Mac Quads and configured a dream machine at $15k. Talk is cheap....I will put together something slightly less exotic. You are right about the cost of RAM upgrades from Apple - what a joke.
    Your comments about the screen reflect my concerns, if you will. Eye candy for certain. I saw it at a Best Buy. Know what you mean about those blacks - but you can see the rest of world as well.
    My age - I am an 18 years old stuck in a 51 year old body. Does that make me "young or old"?
    David

Walter, by the way, elegant work you have. When I grow up I want to take pictures like that.

I've actually recently used Cruicial for my memory upgrades. http://www.crucial.com/. I've used other memory online stores and there are always problems here and there... with Crucial, everything is fast, efficient, convenient and I don't have to worry about them sending me the wrong kind of memory or a cheap immitation for my computer.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I work on an apple monitor all day doing print design/production, but don't much care for them for photography. If you have a big budget, the eizo monitors can't be beat. On a low budget, a used high end CRT might be best ... something with powerful calibration controls and a natural, smooth rendition of pixels. Sony Artisan and Lacie electron blue monitors are excellent if you get a good hardware calibration system along with them. They can be found in decent condition on craigslist and ebay all the time.

There might be some decent choices in LCDs that cost less that the eizos ... i'll let others with experience chime in.

And whatever you do--- don't buy anything before the 15th of January. The Mac Pros have not been updated in a long time (nearly 18 months) and are "due" for an upgrade.

The Mac World expo (mid-Jan) often brings new hardware, so I would definitely hold tight and see what is up.

Enjoy your Mac -- I switched a few years ago and haven't regretted it for a second.

JT

You can check Ramseeker for current prices on RAM through many different dealers. This can also you to find the best current prices. They have ways to check RAM prices for Apple or Windows based systems.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by J_Tardiff View Post
    And whatever you do--- don't buy anything before the 15th of January. The Mac Pros have not been updated in a long time (nearly 18 months) and are "due" for an upgrade.

The Mac World expo (mid-Jan) often brings new hardware, so I would definitely hold tight and see what is up.

Enjoy your Mac -- I switched a few years ago and haven't regretted it for a second.

JT
    You needn't wait until the 15th. For reasons I can't explain, Apple's announcing the new Mac Pros right now. (Two quad core processors driving eight 30" Cinema displays, anyone?)

Any Macbook Pro announcements in sight?

I was thinking of a 15" book for the road.