Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New at LF.. Lens shutter speed ?

New at LF.. Lens shutter speed ?

I bought an old Raptar 302mm f4.5 lens for my 10x8 camera. The fastest shutter speed is 1/50 sec .. is this normal or is it common to get faster shutter speeds on lenses like these ? I'm worried the shutter won't be fast enough for portrait work. Thanks !! Eamonn / Dublin

Re: New at LF.. Lens shutter speed ?

If you're using a flash then it won't matter.

Big shutters are slow. Even a modern 3 shutter would only get you 1/125th and that wouldn't get you F/4.5

As Nick says, with electronic flash, it doesn't matter since they fire for only thousandths of a second. It would only be an issue if you are "dragging the shutter" to also record ambient light as well as the flash. Just prepare your subject to stay still after the flash goes off.

Don't forget that in the beginning, a subject had to sit still for several minutes...yes minutes for enough light to record on the daguerotype, ambrotype, tin type and other extremely slow processes. Admittedly, they were actually clamped into position so they couldn't move.

Having someone in place for even two or three seconds isn't impossible if you pose them where they are comfortable and braced against a wall, arms folded on a table, fully reclined on a couch, etc.

Most of the time, you'll be shooting at a much faster speed, say around 1/4 to 1/30 second, and that is quite easy for someone to hold a pose in those ranges. Just let them know you are about to shoot so they can relax into the pose and be ready for you.

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

You will probably have more trouble keeping the subject in focus due to the shallow depth of field than anything related to shutter speeds shorter that say a 1/10th of a second if you are shooting wide open and at portrait distances w/ a 12" lens. Practice will make perfect!

Thanks very much for the advice everyone .. Would anyone be able to tell me how to sync my flash units up to a lens like that [Raptar 302mm].. it has X any M settings.. with only one connection which I presumed was for a cable shutter trigger ?
    Thanks again for your help !!
    Eamonn

X is modern flash
    M is bulb.

X is for electronic flash, M is for flash bulbs. Depending on the shutter, there are several different flash sync cord types to fit the sync post of posts. If you can post a detailed photo of the shutter(specifically of the sync post), that would help to determine what you need.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Attachment 8544

Hi Tim.. I've attached a pic for you. Hope you have the right detail there? Any thoughts ? There's only one connection there so I'm presuming that's the sync post ?
    Thanks !
    Eamonn

eamonn,

the two pins are the sync connection called a bi-post. to use a modern flash you will need an adapter cable. the most common is by paramount cords. if you go to their site, you will see their #13 on the third row. that end will go to your shutter. the other end of the cord will need to be compatible with your flash. your local camera shop may have such cords.

the second picture is for the cable release.

http://www.paramountcords.com/synccords.asp
    Last edited by jss; 2-Jan-2008 at 14:03. Reason: added url

Thanks a million for that Tim.. Much appreciated !
    Eamonn