Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you replace a 90mm and 135mm with a 110XL?

Re: Would you replace a 90mm and 135mm with a 110XL?

Jack, I still prefer to use a GND filter. The less time I spend in front of the computer means more time in the field, which is the part I enjoy the most about Nature/Landscape photography. Somewhat akin to your exposure compositing, I used to do something similar when I was shooting with a 1DsMII. I would composite DOF. Focus the foreground, midground, and background and expose each at f/8, then layer in PS and mask off the OOF region in each layer. The advantage of course is that you can use the sweet spot of the lens for optimal resolution. But what a PITA it became for post-acquistion processing. Then I realized I could get all the DOF I would ever need by shooting 4x5. And the increase in image quality even from a "lowly" Imacon scan left the 1DsMII in the dust. Actually, come to think of it, since switching back to film and outsourcing all of my scanning, I spend FAR LESS TIME IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER and more time IN THE FIELD.

I can print the M8 files to 16x24 and they look excellent

That is a pretty impressive claim for a 10 MP camera. I've done a lot of printing for my clients that shoot 10 MP (Nikon/Canon) and even with the best zoom lenses, 16 x 24 is pushing it, even up-rezzing with Genuine Fractals. I always suspected the glass was the problem and likely explains why the M8 does so well. However, I still believe the small footprint and focussing accuracy of the Leica M relegates it to reportage and the view camera to landscape. Horses for courses. Having said this, I would probably snap a landscape image or two just for fun if I get an M8. But for serious landscape work, it would be 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Would you replace a 90mm and 135mm with a 110XL?
    Would I? No way. Especially if I had 135mm Sironar-S. The 135mm is my most used focal length on 4x5 with 210mm a close second and 90mm only a distant third.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    If the M8 approached 4x5 quality then many of us would probably be shooting with one.

Roughly speaking, it's like medium-quality medium format. Damn impressive but not real close to what you can do with even a cheap 4x5 outfit.
    totally agree Frank --- it's why I still shoot with 4x5 (And FWIW, I still own the Chamonix --- I think we had a bet?)

Bottom line is the M8 is about like quality drum-scanned 2-1/4. Frankly, the only digital solution I've found that beats scanned 4x5 is the Betterlight scanning back in high-rez mode, but it's not a very convenient capture medium relative to film, at least in the field. The 33/39 MP digital backs are impressive and close to 4x5, but the entry cost is prohibitive unless you shoot a lot of frames per year.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post

That is a pretty impressive claim for a 10 MP camera. I've done a lot of printing for my clients that shoot 10 MP (Nikon/Canon) and even with the best zoom lenses, 16 x 24 is pushing it, even up-rezzing with Genuine Fractals. I always suspected the glass was the problem and likely explains why the M8 does so well. However, I still believe the small footprint and focussing accuracy of the Leica M relegates it to reportage and the view camera to landscape. Horses for courses. Having said this, I would probably snap a landscape image or two just for fun if I get an M8. But for serious landscape work, it would be 4x5.
    The M8 sensor does not have an AA filter in in front of it, and the comparable Nikon and Canon sensors do --- makes a HUGE difference in ability to print large with clarity. Lenses of course also matter a lot, and Leica are excellent, especially wide open.

The 4x5 is a better tool for serious landscape and it's why I own and shoot 4x5. But the M8 is just so much fun to use, I find myself using it more and more and everything else less and less for almost everything.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Baxter

I recently went for the 110XL to replace a 90mm S-A and an APO-Symmar 120mm. It is everything everyone raves about. An astonishing lens. No problem with filters, I use the Lee system. There is no need for the 86mm CF, but it must really be used with the 80mmXL when shooting E6.

I also use the 5x4 for landscape and an M8 for any other photography. The image quality is very impressive. I use 50mm, 28mm and 21mm Zeiss lenses with a 90mm CV getting sporadic use.

However I agree with Jack, it does have quirks and I have had to spend ages learning how to process the image files to get decent results. Leica User Forum has masses of information about how to alleviate issues and also money from your wallet....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    But the M8 is just so much fun to use, I find myself using it more and more and everything else less and less for almost everything.

OT - It is always good to have something just for having fun with. I have a nice Nikon F6 that I absolutely love for that purpose. OT

However I agree with Jack, it does have quirks and I have had to spend ages learning how to process the image files to get decent results
    Sounds like a beta product that I should steer clear from until the next generation DRF emerges. The last thing I need is additional frustration in a passion that is meant to alleviate stress. Any ideas on product life cycle for DRF's?

They speculate about that on the Leica forums quite a bit. My sense is that the M8 is making a leaner, more streamlined Leica company profitable, so I would expect them to release a less-buggy M8x or something in the next year, and probably take several years to develop (and hopefully perfect) the M9.

Whether that goes to a full-frame sensor or not is hot debated. I don't really care, I just wish the digital camera companies would make some better performing and faster prime lenses that worked well at a reasonable price.

How about a camera that isn't obsolete in 2-3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I just wish the digital camera companies would make some better performing and faster prime lenses that worked well at a reasonable price.
    Geez Frank - Canon make a 50 F1.4 and an 85 F1.8 which are both outstanding performers and cost around $300 - how much more are you hoping for? You can, of course, drop in excess of $3000 for a new 50mm Summilux Asph which may be just a little better. Just depends on where you want to stop.