Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Parks/Photography Near Las Vegas

Jim Ewins

Re: National Parks/Photography Near Las Vegas

California's Eastern Sierra, A Visitor's Guide by Sue Irwin is a gold mine of information for photographers. Cachuma Press- was $18.95

I've never been to Death Valley, and I'm sure that things have changed, but Ansel Adams published a guide to photographing there (available used, B&W of course), and Edward/Charis Weston's "California and the West" should put you in the proper emotional mood.
    I envy you this trip (maybe someday -- sigh). Have fun.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Zion.

I have a tentative route for the 10 day trip, and wonder if it is trying to cover too much ground, or too little. The purpose again is black and white LF landscapes, both commercial and natural. I plan to drive during the middle part of the day, hoping I can drive about 4 hours per day.

1. Vegas to Death Valley via Pahrump. Three days in the park (Motel Death Valley Junction)
    2. Route 190 thru DV Park and south on 395 to 178W stay 1 night East of Bakersfield
    (I assume this will likely be free of snow)
    3. 65N or 43N to route 49? Stay near Mariposa two nights
    4. 49N to route 108 ( or is route 4 or route 88 going east better?)to route 395. (2 days someplace in the area)
    5. 395 south to the Bridgeport Mono lake area-depending on Yosemite weather
    6. The remaining days to Bishop, Tonopah, Goldfield and then back to Vegas.

I guess I am trying to determine if this route makes sense. Again thanks for all your suggestions which I have tried to incorporate.

In the desert...

You might touch base with "Ranger Bob"....he posts on APUG, is a photographer and is currently working as a ranger in DV.

Ebbett's Pass (4) is lovely, but one of the last to be opened (usually) 88 is usually kept open year around as it services Kirkwood. Sonora Pass may or may not be opened by then.

The Gunn house in Sonora is a cool B&B (and not too far a drive from the Willow Steak House.)

If you like rusty metal the old Sierra Railroad in Jamestown is a museum these days. They'll most likely be operating on a limited basis since it won't be "tourist season" yet which it to your advantage----no crowds! It is a unique opportunity to get up close and personal with locomotives undergoing various stages of dismantling and restoration.
    Oh, and be sure to take an extra suitcase to hold all those petzvals Jim will sell you as you pass through Tonopah

After all the fun you may want to rest your road weary bones at the hot springs in Mammoth on the road back.

If you happen to find the celery canyon in Death Valley please let me know

Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Woodbury

Death Valley Junct. to most places within DV is a long ways.

Highway 108 will be closed. It is most of the time. Figure on going all the way to Tahoe to cross or going back to Walker pass.

Depending on your timing, you might get over from 178 to 65N by Wofford Hts, Glennville, Posey, or similar. That is pretty and lonely up there. Very nice. Only one high spot.

You'd do well to be able to camp or sleep in car.

Carry a detailed map.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Sorry tokeep going to the well on this thread, but I am trying to determine given the kind of photog I like which routew makes sense:

1. Las Vegas to Tonopah to Bodie, Bishop, and then to Lone Pine area followed by a few days in Death Valley.
    2. Las Vegas to Death Valley to Fresno to Mariposa to Sonora to Bodie /ishop and Lone Pine, before returning to Vegas.

I arrive LV mid day 4 March and depart LV Early 10 March.

I like to photograph both commercial and natural landscapes, in B&W, and I prefer not to do an inordinate amount of driving in my non-4 wheel drive vehicle.

Are the ghost towns along route 49 duplication to those in the Tonopah area? Is route 49 worth the extra drive?

Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated.

Terry,
    Now that you only have 5 days I recommend that you stay on the eastern side of the Sierras (Plan 1). Arrive LV and travel to Tonopah on the first day. Then go west and south at a more leisurely pace giving you time to photograph. If you are planning on overnighting in Death Valley I would recommend Stove Pipe Wells. From there you can get the dunes, go north to the crater, travel south on the west side of DV and get some views and some mining ruins and some cone shape charcoal kilns. Catch Bad Water, Artists, overlooks and the spring flowers in the south pass on your way out to Vegas.
    Ric Raymond
    Blue Heron Images

Sorry-Mistake on dates- I arrive LV 4 March and depart 10 March. Thanks