Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Showing... ready or not

Showing... ready or not

This morning I sauntered into a small local gallery just see what was what and got to talking about the beach... photography... umwelts... time... next thing you know I am doing a presentation with 3 ratty prints that had been living on the floor of my car since summer... I just held them up one by one in my hands (rather like Bob Dylan with his lyrics in the video) and got 3 consecutive WOWs. I am in a dead panic... I have been offered a one person show of my work based on these three prints...

They want to show about 20 - 25 prints (small gallery)... price point seems to be at about $400... 60me/40them split (a humble start I know).

Now I wondering if this might be a terrible mistake... I have only been photographing for 3-4 years... I am self taught... only about three people in the world have seen my work... my artistic CV consisits primarily of getting slammed for my ideas on this forum... oh... and most importantly I am not sure that I have 25 prints that I have absolute confidence in... I will probably have to shoot like a maniac in the next few months to make sure I have 'product'... there has got to be some kind of bad art karma in just shooting to show.

I honestly do not know what to do... and I have questions... I was too embarassed to ask questions at the gallery... they seemed to think I knew all about this suff so I played along.

Do you have to print editions right out of the gate?... heck do you even do editions... is everything supposed to be the same size?... I can do my own framing... should I?

But the big question is do I put it out there if I feel I am not ready or do I just plunge in and make mistakes... (they want to see a batch prints before spring and of course the dreaded 'artist's statement')... I honestly don't know what to do... I am a recluse... attending some kind of opening and blathering about my work to strangers fills me with incredible anxiety...

Please I need some rational input ...

Thanks... Annie

sorry if there are spelling mistakes.... spelling is my second language

Re: Showing... ready or not

First ... CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Second ... take a deep breath

Third ... you have some time to get things in order.

If you were brave enough to show some "ratty" prints, than you are ready to show the good stuff.

Make a schedule for yourself and get the work done. Having a show is probably part of the reason you make photographs.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with showing but I've had probably 5 or 6 in the last 5 years.

It's a fun and exciting time. Enjoy it.

Email me if you need to.

Again, congrats.

Hi, Annie.

I've posted a PM for you, but I also want to add a suggestion that you contact someone at the art department of whatever college/university you attend(ed) or one nearby to where you are now. The profs there will have had to show as part of their own degree programs and are likely still in the realm of producing and showing. Any one of them should be able to help you understand what shows are all about and how to prepare for one.

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

wfwhitaker

Annie,

Congratulations and best wishes. I have no experience to offer, so am of no help. Follow your heart. But by all means seize the opportunity.

-Will

Thanks for your kind support... I am still recovering from the adrenaline surge.

I live and work in isolation... my images are so very personal to me putting them out in someone elses world is going to be difficult...

Contrary to popular belief, deadlines do not stifle art. I have found the opposite to be true. It's been several years since I hung a show, my venue has changed so drastically, but I recall that pressure seems to prime my pump. It truly is not a detriment to good art.

I vote you go for it. No one ever buys anything anyways but what a rush when the final print is placed and you stand back and take in the effect of a wall and more of your pictures. I need to get busy and do this again, I'm just lazy. It's a kick-start.

BTW, I'm one of the 3 people that has seen your work and you know good and well it surpasses 98% of the * * * * you've witnessed hung in other places.

If you do not feel good about 20-25, then show only 15-20. More wall space around each picture gives more value to each image, a good thing. Small galleries often expect you to frame the works yourself, but if you can get the gallery to frame them, do so. This is a lot of work and time that you can better devote to making the prints if possible. Never pass up an opportunity to exhibit. You will learn more than you can now imagine. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    Do you have to print editions right out of the gate?... heck do you even do editions... is everything supposed to be the same size?... I can do my own framing... should I?

But the big question is do I put it out there if I feel I am not ready or do I just plunge in and make mistakes... (they want to see a batch prints before spring and of course the dreaded 'artist's statement')... I honestly don't know what to do... I am a recluse... attending some kind of opening and blathering about my work to strangers fills me with incredible anxiety...

Please I need some rational input ...

Thanks... Annie

sorry if there are spelling mistakes.... spelling is my second language
    Congrats Annie! Having a show will teach you about your art and growth as an artist. It also helps give confidence in how good your art is to see it all up on the wall framed and under gallery lighting.

As to editions and sizing, that is entirely up to you, and not something someone can tell you, especially someone who is not familiar with your work. You can get nice metal sectional frames from americanframe.com and they can cut the mats for you if you want.

Good luck!

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, deadlines do not stifle art. I have found the opposite to be true.
    That's for damn sure. Without deadlines I'd still be in bed.

Anyway, congratulations, and I hope you go for it.

My one piece of advice is to think of the editing and sequencing as the most important decisions you'll have to make. All the other stuff ... printing, editions, sizes, frames etc. etc. ... you've probably spent pletny of time thinking about already.

I can't overstate the value of getting input, from as many people as possible (provided you trust their ideas about these things), on your edit and sequence. Some of the best education I've ever had involved watching a friend with a great eye come up with surprising edits and groupings for one of my shows. We don't live in the same town anymore, but I've consulted with him several times since then, sending litle pdf files with my proposed edits. He always helps me see my work more clearly.

The gallery owner might have some good input on this. And any teachers, or fellow photographers, especially ones with experience putting art books together.

Annie, congratulations.
    Go for it, jump in the void.
    As it has been said already, showing your work contributes to your growth as an artist and ultimately as a person.
    Editions are entirely up to you, sizes are entirely up to you, you are the maker of the images and only you know what's best for the exhibit.
    If you decide to issue your work as one of a kind I would urge you to discuss a revision of the prices even though this is your first show, good work is good work, period.
    I would love to see your work, I want to say WOW as well.