Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to carry 50 film holders (4x5) ?

Re: How to carry 50 film holders (4x5) ?

I second the cooler idea. Mine holds exactly 50 4x5 holders and lives in the car on long trips. Each holder is in its own quart-size ziploc bag, which keeps darkslides in place and dust out. I carry six or seven with me on day hikes. I rotate through the holders in number order and reload when I get to 100. For reloading, I usually find a hotel room with a windowless bathroom and spend an afternoon or evening unloading, cleaning and reloading. I carry empty film boxes marked N-1, N, and N+1; N-more and N+more holders don't get unloaded, even if the "offending" exposure is only on one side. The number of these is always small, so I can still load 80+ new sheets. It rare for me to shoot more than 150 sheets or so even on a three-month photo safari (guess I'm picky...)

Hope this helps,

Doremus Scudder

that many holders will take up all the space in most bags. I have an older version of an Uncle Mikes Range bag designed to hold pistols and ammunition. It holds 25 4X5 film holders. The older version does not have all the side pockets and is a bit slimmer

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/field_bag.html
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

two things. One, you don't need 50 holders. There is this thing called a changing tent that makes it all obsolete... If you want...

As to everyone and their rubberbands..... you don't need to do this. All you have to do is turn the holders on their side and the dark slides never bounce out....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I have a few Grafmatics, they dramatically save on bulk and weight.
    The only drawback is they don't give you that classic film holder black margin.

50 sheets? That's only 5 Kinematics worth. A school lunch bag will hold that.

David,

I can understand you not wanting to reload holders if the trip is to a dusty, dirty type location.

You don't mention hiking or should straps so based not needing to worry about those elements.

I have never carried 50 at once, but if I were to try it, I think I would use a Liteware flash case, 2 choices, the three pocket, two layer style. 6 holders per large zip lock, 50 holders will take about 2/3 of the case and the other section for misc stuff we always seem to collect. Or the 2 compartment style where again, 6 holders per zip lock, stacked, 50 should fit nicely.

Well padded, it zips closed tightly and has the wrap around handle for easy carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    I am looking for a way to carry 50 holders on an upcoming road trip.

I would prefer one bag or one "something".

I have a smaller bag to carry 15 holders but I am looking for something bigger.

Any suggestions ?

Like others here, my film holders go into Zip Lock bags as soon as they are loaded with fresh film. I put two holders in each bag because when I decide to make an exposure, I make a back-up exposure from a different film holder.

When I was taking road trips with the 4x5 I slept in the car or a tent most of the time and didn’t want to deal with changing film in a light tent. I have about 75 holders and (because I was doing this mostly in the Southwest) I kept them in a cooler that is refrigerated with power coming from the cigarette lighter. I have no idea where I bought this cooler but they are probably still available somewhere.
    Jerome

I made a cart for my backpack from an old, two-wheeled golf cart I was given as a kid. Very big wheels that do a great job of absorbing shocks. There's space on this cart to add a container to hold the additional film holders that you describe.

But 50 holders! That's a lot. Consider getting a Harrison change tent. There's a good one suitable for 4x5 that not too large. There's also one big enough for changing 11x14 holders.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I 4th the Calumet film holder cases. I have two Calumet and two F64 holder cases. The latter is a little better IMO as it has a zipper closed top which is guaranteed to keep out all dust and a web pocket on the front side to keep notes, etc. Both the Calumet and F64 will attach to your pack/belt for hiking and the F64 also comes with a strap if you want to hang it from your shoulder instead.

I have 60 holders and I perfectly understand why do not want to mess with reloading on the road. Besides, you never know when you run into something interesting and need 100 sheets ready to go.:-)

I use six pack coolers, which hold about 15-18 each, depending on whether the cooler has a hard liner or is softsided. The hard liner ones are just tall enough for the holders and the soft lid sit on the top of the holders so the slides do not migrate. The soft side ones cushion the shocks which also keeps the slides in place. The coolers have a shoulder strap, and you can shoot out of them if you want. Great for handhelp with you Graphic or Technika. I use a Kineses belt with their 4x5 holder pouches, which hold 6 each.