Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a 4x5" aspirin

Re: I need a 4x5" aspirin

That list should easily yield a $200 camera, including shipping, AND the possibility of a period lens (graflex Ektar or Optar or similar).

TIP If shopping eBay auctions. Flag (watch list) auctions closing Sunday PM or late evening, or auctions closing between midnight to 6 in the morning. That doesn't mean there won't be other auctions to watch. But bidding is very weak at those times.

Ethan,

Maybe I missed something, but why don't you sell the Pocket View here? I just checked eBay and in the past couple of weeks there were two sales: one for $365 and the other for $450. There was a time when I wanted a Pocket View for hiking but my hikes are shorter these days and the Shen Hao I have works just fine.

Scott

Ethan,

I'd check out the Calumet 45N (removable & rotating back) or 45NX (revolving back). There's a flood of them on the used market since they were used in art/photography schools as entry level view cameras. One recently sold on eBay for $165, and another one with a lens and several lens boards sold for only $315. I picked up one in like-new condition with a lens & some lens boards & other accessories a few years back for ~$350. The camera is simple, sturdy and has big knobs. For what you're looking for, I can't think of a better inexpensive monorail. You can read a comprehensive review at http://www.largeformatphotography.in...umet-45nx.html

Cheers,
    Tony

Depending on where you are, Craigslist can be good too.

C

It's true and I think I also mentioned it....

The pocket views have been selling for quite a bit more than the money you want to spend to buy a view camera. I saw the ones mentioned and I also saw one sell a few weeks ago for right around $500 with no lens.

Ethan - a couple of thoughts -

The Pocket View does have the ability to put an additional rail extention on it - you might not have it. Peter Gowland could even make you a longer one if needed. Peter still has parts.

Often, the friction wheel on the bottom simply needs to have its screws tightened a little bit and then it works just fine. In addition, some of the hardware can be replaced with something a bit more robust, to get rid of the hex key. It actually locks down pretty well. The pocket view was designed to be inexpensive and very light weight above all else. You could probably sell it for what an entry level Toyo would cost used, provided that someone else wants less weight.

Anybody want to trade him a nice hefty boat anchor camera for an ultra-light camera? That would really be cool. Each would have their new treasure.

Did anyone mention the plastic Toyo 45cf field camera? It's not a bad camera at all, and it is very inexpensive, especially used. For studio use, Sinar F1 cameras are dirt cheap these days, and quite capable. If you don't need much for movements, a Crown Graphic can sometimes appear for 150 - 200 in superb shape.

Don't forget the various helical mount, non-bellows type large format cameras if you really need something rigid and can sacrafice movements. Fotoman, for example.

You do have thousands of choices available to you.

I have both a Toyo 45E and 45F, as well as a Burke & James Press that I'm in the process of deciding to sell.

erie

I hate to be a pain but......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

What should be my top bid on this monster?
    thanks,
    ethan

That's the normal model. Thought you wanted a long rail?

As is sale? Basically fair value now.

Camera is worth a bit more but not as is and with the seller talking about "high shipping"

Update on an update:

A) I live in New York City

B) Thanks and I am aware I can get a longer rail for my PocketView, but I just feel like
    I'd be trying to mow a hayfield with a moustache trimmer with that thing. Maybe I just need a monster camera to make monster pictures!

C) A trade could work, but I am not sure if I should sell the PocketView, as it was a gift. Maybe I need a second opinion on this.

D) I really appreciate all of your help with all this!

http://www.ethansprague.com