Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a 4x5" aspirin

I need a 4x5" aspirin

Is it me or my imagination?
    A friend gave me this 4x5 Gowland Pocketview maybe 10 years ago.
    So I bought a graflok back for it recently and I am trying to get used to it BUT:
    this camera just seems so light and finicky and loose.
    It's my guess that maybe this camera is made to throw in a back pack and go hiking,
    but I just want something that I can throw on a big tripod, that can be locked down tight and stay in place without flexing and moving. In other words, the exact oposite of what this camera is. I dont care how much it weighs or if it's ugly as sin. Any recommendations for something for a VERY budget conscious person?
    thank you!

Dave Karp

Re: I need a 4x5" aspirin

A used Cambo Legend or Toyo G monorail camera will work for you. These are workhorse studio cameras that have been around a long time. Used versions are available at unbelievably low prices, and used accessories are plentiful. Sinar P or P2 and Horseman monorails are also options, but probably more expensive.

What you are decribing that you want sounds like my Gowland Pocketview, so I don't quite know what to suggest. Good luck in your search!

Vaughn

tim810

My first 4x5 was a Sinar F1. A great camera that fit in a f64 backpack with some holders and a lens, was solid, and had all the movments I needed. KEH has some ranging from 365(bgn)-399(EX). Check them out!!! I have never been disapointed by KEH.
    Happy Holidays
    Tim

How about a Calumet 400 series, or a B and J?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ditto on the recommendation for KEH. Their prices are reasonable and they tend to under-grade stuff.

I also am a Sinar fan; my first true LF camera was a Sinar P that I got last month. (My primary camera had been a Fuji 680, which is not quite L enough to be LF, though it does have limited movements).

An advantage to Sinar is that you can start with an F or F2 (the lightweight Sinar monrail, with geared fine focus but all other movements are friction) and slowly turn it in to a P (heavyweight and with all geared movements) by replacing the rear and front standards. Also, they are very common commercial photography cameras, so parts and accessories are readily available on the used market.

There are, of course, many other good camera brands (ArcaSwiss, Toyo, Horseman, Calumet, etc), and I'm sure you'll get many good recommendations.

I have a Gowland Pocket, >>>>

And I am certainly glad I learned on something more stable. The Pocket is a backpack camera. You throw it in a pack and hike 2 days to a location where you can spend the next two days fighting the instability of the camera. If I continue to use it, I will make a few modifications. First, a gear strip and wheel for the front focus, instead of the friction wheel with no lock. Secondly, no hex wrench. Actual welded handles on the movement locks so they can really be locked down. It is light however.

I started 4X5 with a Graflex Graphic with the graflok back and a 127 ektar lens. That camera is a complete package with fair movements. I've had monorails and field cameras with full movements and I rarely find myself in a situation, even now, which exceeds the capabilitys of an old Graflex press camera in good condition. A good operating Graflex should be available for from $200 to 300 and that may include a period lens. It sounds like you must already have one lens with the Pocket??? A Graflex would be a low risk ($$$$) starter. If it turns out you need more movements, that camera should sell for what you paid for it, or nearly so. The tripod mount on a Graflex is on the main body, so extended, they can be a little front heavy, so your heavy tripod is a good idea. They do lock down nicely, and the focus is geared.

Most of the people I know who do pack into remote locations use the Tachihara. It's about as light as they get without spending huge dollars. A new Tachi sells for around $600 last time I looked, and the down side is that a used one brings almost new prices in good condition.

Monorails in my estimation are a second choice for field use, but they offer maximum movements.

It might be a good idea to figure out a few things beforehand. What type of photos do you want to take... studio, street work, architecture, nature and landscape. If you plan on getting outdoors, how far do you want to wander from the car? The distance I might work from the car precludes a monorail in my usage. But, I've seen some people pretty far afield with monorails. Their pack mule was nearby however.

I really like the look of the new Chamonix that everybody is hooting about on this board. It looks like an incredible piece of equipment for $700, flexible, plenty of movements, and lots of extension (draw). I'm thinking about getting in on the next run.

It might be a good time to sell the pocket. They have been going for some real significant prices on eBay when the auction is set up right. I've seen a couple lately sell for upwards of $500 without lenses. That should put enough money in the kitty to buy a nice field or monorail camera.

Update

Thanks a lot for all the replies:
    Right now I am shooting still lifes. I am using a 150mm F:9 G Claron and a Graflok back.
    I am trying to shoot tabletop objects up close at around F 9.5 at one second.
    The Pocketview bellows are long enough but the focus rail isnt, so I need to buy an extension tube now and try that or extend the bellows with a longer rail.
    I guess I am crazy as I was hoping i could find an old camera for maybe $200-250.00 that I could slap my lens and back on and be in business.
    Something that would look at home on an old Majestic tripod. If what I am thinking of doesnt exist, maybe I can make a camera out of a safe because movements are not real important right now- I just want something that wont budge. The ultimate non portable camera.
    In my mind its the equivalent of a photographic farm tractor. All bulky metal with gears sticking out maybe.
    I'll be researching your replies.
    Thanks again,
    ethan

The old style Calumet will fit that budget....

Look at Calumet monorails... the old style with the revolving back. They don't have Graflok, but you can surely switch to film holders. The camera's are a bit bulky, but there are usually quite a few of them out there on eBay and otherwise. They are very sturdy and lock down tight. Would be good for the use you describe currently. The standard model has a fairly long draw.

Be sure you don't get the short rail wide angle model with the reversed front standard.

Here is a link to a standard on eBay with a case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-4x5-Came...QQcmdZViewItem

And here is a link to the short rail wide angle. Notice the krinkly bellows. It's that way because it has no stiffeners and folds flatter. Stay away from this one for the photography you describe. Notice the reverse of the front standards to bring the lens board closer to the ground glass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CALUMET-4X5-CAME...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, look at the later Calumet monorails. Another model to look at is the early Graphic View... not press. View. Sometimes they sell in that range.

Its like you saw inside my brain!

Thanks for the heads up, Kuzano.
    That first link - Calumet Standard looks like JUST the ticket. Now I just need to watch the prices. My eyes are open on this one.The Graphic View looks real nice but might be too pretty!