Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Non traditional photographs

Re: Non traditional photographs

Quote Originally Posted by ageorge View Post
    Pray tell, which "standard" am I corrupting by posting these images?
    ageorge,
    as I said before I like your images.
    I don't have a huge issue with you posting your images,a good image is a good image, although this should still be the Large Format Photography Forum(It has been called that way for a reason).
    Do we need to explain that film photography has become a very rarefied branch of photography and Large format photography(film and digital) even more so?
    DO we really need to explain that this forum has done and has been doing a lot of good in educating and help to perpetuate this Art form?
    This is not an elitist attitude, but, ..should we call it self preservation?
    Again, If you had a less confrontational and less childishly attitude, probably you wouldn't have met such resistance from some members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. Go look at some of my stuff with an 11X14 and a lens that cannot resolve 1 line pair in a mm. Your crappy dslr will never be able to do what real large format can do. It aint just about sharp pictures. Brute force and tonality, maybe, but like it says on my dark room wall, "It's the picture, stupid".

Donald correct me if I'm wrong but I understood your intent to mean those pictures that you hand to someone and they try it 90 180 and 270 degrees out from they way you handed it to them to see which way they like it best.
    Jim, That is along the lines of what I meant in my original post. I wanted to try to start a thread where photographs apart from apparently "known objects" or strictly "representational photographs" would be welcomed and posted. Unfortunately there is one fellow here who chose to contribute in a argumentative way rather than posting an image. I think that I was clear in my original post to this thread what I was suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Hey Donald! I really enjoyed your last image! Thanks for sharing it!

Vaughn
    Thank you Vaughn

In keeping with this thread's stated purpose, another recent photograph made with a self designed and built distortion chamber incorporating more than nine planes of lens/mirror configurations. Taking camera 5X7 Wisner with 450 Nikkor M lens (f22 @thirty seconds incl reciprocity). Film, in this case, was Efke Pl 100 developed in Pyrocat HD and printed on J and C Nuance paper (Adox). Not sure if this makes it a traditional or non-traditional photograph. What do you say it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    I agree with Jan and Jim.

so what if you can stitch a gazzillion mega mixels -- it still isn't large format. It is just a big electronic file.
    This is exactly the reason I am done with photography. Crap everywhere and yet they call it contemporary!

Photography in the digital world is a lost art, what a damn shame. If AA was alive today or Bret Weston for that matter, I can guarantee they would not make it as photographers.

How do you compete with crap and more importantly HUGE prints just for the sake of being HUGE with no artistic qualities. People are accepting the ordinary instead of seeking the extraordinary.

What a shame what digital is doing to the photographic art form. You can have it...

I am back to the brush and pencil. Maybe I suck at it, maybe I don't, but at least my hand and skill is involved with no damn computers doing everything for you!

Slam me as you will as I wont reply anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    In keeping with this thread's stated purpose, another recent photograph made with a self designed and built distortion chamber incorporating more than nine planes of lens/mirror configurations. Taking camera 5X7 Wisner with 450 Nikkor M lens (f22 @thirty seconds incl reciprocity). Film, in this case, was Efke Pl 100 developed in Pyrocat HD and printed on J and C Nuance paper (Adox). Not sure if this makes it a traditional or non-traditional photograph. What do you say it is?
    Why these are cool if you are indeed using film, they are not out of the ordinary, They are abstract form with emphasis on form and movement. Just like what Brett Weston did with his work, or Minor White for that matter. Yours are more about form and shape but not unusual. Abstract, yes.

They are photographs and interesting ones..

You know, if these were paintings, they would be pretty awesome for sure

Just my opinion.

Jrewt, I agree. These are outstanding.

multiplex

Last edited by jnantz; 10-Feb-2008 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    John,

Another fine example of your creative output. As I have told you before, the greatest single aspect of your photography and there are several that are notable, is the fact that you pose questions so very effectively through your imagery. Questions posed are a million times more effective than all of the visual stories told, in my humble opinion.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    John,

Another fine example of your creative output. As I have told you before, the greatest single aspect of your photography and there are several that are notable, is the fact that you pose questions so very effectively through your imagery. Questions posed are a million times more effective than all of the visual stories told, in my humble opinion.
    thanks donald -

i appreciate your comment

john