Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Re: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Right at the moment I'm making enough to pay the rent doing photography, which isn't much. I'm working my butt off at it (as is my girl, she is my bidness partner), and seeing as how we have only been at it for 5 months we are doing pretty well. It's amazing how much you have to literally bug the hell out of people to get work, even when they are impressed and actively LOOKING for a new photographer and stylist (I do food photography).. Oh well, I can't complain because it's pretty fun..

I occasionally pick up HABS/HAER projects through my job as a historian/cultural resources guy for an engineering firm, but most of my photography is the same kind of documentation jobs albeit on a volunteer basis.

Convert to LF

I am quitting a very well paid position in Asia to a less generous job in Switzerland, but not in photography, simply because I cannot practice LF in Thailand or Vietnam.
    What about that? Not a day job but a vocation! I miss my Tachi soooooo much...and the mountains of course....,and the wine.....,and the cheese fondue,...and the snow....,and etc, etc. Next step: a Misura, because I do not want to have a heart attack seeing my brand new Chamonix grounded in China

My family sole source of income is the licensing of images and sale of prints from my website. We live in the SF Bay area. That said, I don't really consider photography to be my day job. I spend most of my time behind a computer to prepare digital files, enhance the web site, and run the business. When I was working as a research scientist, there were years where I photographed more, however I didn't have a family back then. What hasn't changed, though, is that I photograph exclusively the cultural and natural subjects I am interested in, to the exclusion of any assignment. I don't find it particularly great to be a full-time photographer, but with my family obligations, I wouldn't have time to be a part-time photographer.

I tell people that photography is a high school hobby that has gotten SERIOUSLY out of hand Been a traditional (darkroom) fine art printer for 28 years this year, and a photographer of works of art for about 20 years now. My goal for next year is to get a web gallery up and running for sales of my personal work (hey, everyone needs a goal).
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Roughly half of my work in the communications dept. at the LSU AgCenter involves photography, all digital.
    I also do freelance wet-plate work, mostly civil war reenactments and portraits. I shot a dilapidated 200-year-old house last week that's about to be restored.

New Orleans, LA

I work M - F as a commercial studio and tabletop shooter. I photograph antique furniture, jewelry, porcelain, glass and artwork (paintings, sculpture) for an antique company; we have our own in-house marketing department and produce 6 - 8 catalogs a year plus ads, sale sheets and images for the website. In my "off" hours I shoot some editorial work, portraiture and do custom black & white printing. I'm learning platinum printing and next year will be devoted to printing 8x10 work in platinum. I have been lucky in that I have worked as a photographer in some capacity since college ('81). I still dream of photographing architecture (like Kirk).

New Orleans, LA

Bruce, I just saw your previous post; you are just up the road from me. I'm in New Orleans.

I do not earn my living by it as I am a microwave system designer. But I do some product documentation at work. Equipment and workshops take a big size of my savings each year and dont improve my photographic skills.

I *was* doing it for a living. I have been "retired" for 2 years due to health problems.

At 49, with a 9 year old, I need to get back to work as soon as I can! I can't afford to retire. Maybe in 6 months I can work again?