Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to buy for my first Field camera

Preston Birdwell

Re: What to buy for my first Field camera

This is a tad off the topic, but Gene wrote, "These focal lengths in "telephoto" formulas focus infinity with less bellows draw than a standard 300mm lens. They are designed to be used on field cameras with limited bellows draw."

Gene: This piece I know about. My question is, will the bellows draw on the Tachihara be enough to use the 360T/500T as I considered getting one if I can find one? Thanks, I appreciate your help.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

You see a lot of Tachiharas for sale because they've been a popular camera in the U.S. for at least 25 years so there's a lot of them around. For most of that time they were the clear best choice for someone who wanted an inexpensive, light, compact, well-made field camera that would accept lenses from 65mm (without a bag bellows) to 300mm normal (with some limit on close focusing distance) or 400mm (maybe a little longer) telephoto. Tachiharas don't have an international back, they have a spring back that allows use of Calumet roll film holders and Polaroid, Readyload, Graflex, and Quickload holders.

Then Shen Hao came along about 5 years ago as competition for Tachihara in that category of LF camera. Shen Haos weigh about 2 pounds more than the Tachihara (6 lbs vs 4 lbs), allow/require use of a bag bellows (a bag bellows being a plus or a minus depending on how short a lens someone uses and what movements they need), have a 12" bellows (an inch shorter than the Tachihara) but with workarounds that will allow the use of a 300mm normal lens, and have an international back. The Shen Hao also has more movements than the Tachihara (mainly rear shift IIRC) which is important to some, unimportant to others. Both the Shen Hao and the Tachihara should allow you to use your 360mm telephoto lens but probably not 500mm (I used a 400 mm telephoto on my Tachihara).

In the last few months a third camera, the Chamonix, has become available on the U.S. market as competition for the Tachihara, Shen Hao, and other similar cameras (e.g. Wista). Based only on specs and pictures it looks like the best of both worlds - bellows several inches longer than the Tachihara (so that normal lenses longer than 300mm can be used) and much longer than the Shen Hao, ability to use a 65mm lens without a bag bellows like the Tachihara, weight about the same as the Tachihara, same movements as the Tachihara but with shift added like the Shen Hao (though at a different place I think), accepts an international back, price almost the same as the Tachihara and Shen Hao (about $100 plus shipping more).

I'm unclear about the Chamonix bag bellows situation. I didn't think it would accept a bag bellows but Barry above says it will. My longest lens is 100mm so it wasn't important to me and I didn't check carefully. While lengthy delivery times - months - have been the case so far, I expect to have the Chamonix I ordered within about a week from my order date. I assume that's because of left overs from the current production run, I don't know how long they'll be able to deliver that quickly. If you're interested in the Chamonix contact Hugo Zhang, hugo z _ 2000 at yahoo dot com. You can see pictures at Jack Flesher's web site.

Obviously you're unlikely to find a used Chamonix at this point. While you can find many used Tachiharas and probably Shen Haos, I'd question the wisdom of buying either of these cameas used, especially on ebay. When I've seen final prices for them on ebay they've been within a few dollars - like $50 or even less - of the latest new price I've seen ($595 at Midwest Photo Exchange for the Tachihara and I think the same for Shen Hao). To me $50 or so isn't worth the possible downsides of buying used, especially on ebay.

I don't mean to suggest that these three cameas are your only choices, there are many other cameras that you could buy for the same price or less than these three. These are just the three relatively inexpensive cameras with which I have personal experience and that would seem to suit you well.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

While others have told you to buy "cheap" at first to see if you like it, I will recommend that you spend a little more as it is often true that you get what you pay for. I am not saying that there aren't inexpensive field cameras out there that are of plenty acceptable quality. Just don't buy based on price. Toyo ax and axII are excellent field cameras and those Chamonix cameras look really damn awesome as well!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopelessly Lost

I have a wista 45sp for sale. You can interchangeable bag bellows and telephoto bellows for it as well (with the bed extension). Its a great camera but I am moving in a different direction.

I'm not 100%, but I read a forum post that indicated the Chamonix bellows is interchangeable. Of course, there aren't any accessories for the 45N-1 at this point, so I wouldn't count on a bag bellows soon unless you're constructing it yourself or ordering one. I plan to get one if they're offered.

Hi, I am using Tachi for more than a year and it is reallynice field camera. I have just bought 75mm lens and while usable on flat lens board - the belows are quite compressed so not full movements are possible. If you want to shoot with wide angle (65 & 75) lenses I would get camera that allows bag bellows.

Concerning the 369/500 T - the 500 will not work. I think it would need more than 320mm of bellows and it would be stretching too far concerning the camera stability. I use Osaka 400/6 tele lens that weights ca 0.5 kg - i think that it is the lightest tele lens in this focal length. While the stability is OK when focused to infinity (cca 200mm bellows draw) - once focused closer the whole setup becomes very vibration prone. The 360T weights 0.8 kg so it would be at the limit of the camera in the real world conditions (slight breeze).

If you are serious about using such a long/heavy lenses with 4x5 a lot - consider some "stronger" camera. The tachi does best what it is built for - lightweight field camera for lightweight lenses 75 - 300 on flat board with movements that are more than enough for field work.
    Matus

You asked nearly the same question last July 30th

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=27674

Re: What to by for my fist Field camera

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Thomas,

A question I have, that relates to your 360/500T, is will this lens focus at infinity given that the Tachi has a bellows extension of about 310mm? The longest lens I use is the 300mm Nikor M. If not, then this camera may not work for you.

-PB
    I have a 360T and it focus on 240 mm at infinity. You can switch the back lense and then you got a 500 mm lense. I have not find this adapter omn Ebay yet but I ceep locking. I think you can use 500T at infinity on the Tachi.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't mean to suggest that these three cameas are your only choices, there are many other cameras that you could buy for the same price or less than these three. These are just the three relatively inexpensive cameras with which I have personal experience and that would seem to suit you well.
    Thank You. I need to think more about this
    Regards,
    Thomas

Dave Karp

Call Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). He will take the time to talk to you directly about what you want to do with your camera, what will meet those needs, and what will fit your budget. He is honest and straightforward. Highly regarded and oft recommended.