Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestions: 90mm lenses for 4x5

suggestions: 90mm lenses for 4x5

I've been doing research into all of the various offerings from Nikon, Schneider and Rodenstock for a 90mm lens to use on a 4x5, and from what I can tell there isn't much difference in performance. I'll be using the lens for documentary-style photography, often indoors. I can see using it for some outside general use as well. I would like to find a relatively compact design that still offers decent ground glass brightness and good optical performance, even at more open apertures.

Obviously a 5.6 is easier to focus than a slower lens, but they look much larger in size and weight. I used a 8/90 SA for a bit back in the mid-eighties, and I remember it being workable inside, but don't remember much about the experience. I just put a deposit on a Chamonix 45, so this should be the camera the lens is used on.

I'm looking used, and I'm on a very tight budget. I don't need super high resolution obviously, nor a real wide coverage as I won't be using extensive movements. Focusing speed is more important.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

Re: suggestions: 90mm lenses for 4x5

Hi, Arne.

I happen to use a Calumet 90mm f4.5 Caltar II for architectural and landscape work. It's a big and somewhat heavy piece of glass that really delivers a fine image. I think it is made by Rodenstock.

I highly recommend it unless weight is a big issue.

Back in my high school and college yearbook days (60's and early 70's), I used a Crown Graphic that had a 90mm Wollensak (optar?) that weighed almost nothing and could slip into a shirt pocket, board and all. I think it was an f8. A little tough to focus in dim light, but I recall the images were as sharp as I wanted even for big enlargements. Anyway, you might check out the offerings on ebay. Some of those old lenses, even though they don't have the modern coatings, still do a fine job. If the shutter isn't perfect, take a look at a simple, clean lube and adjust. Flutot's camera repair does great work for a very reasonable price.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

An f/4.5 (or 5.6) version would be nice for your indoor work, but they are huge and not exactly cheap.

My experience with a 6.8/90mm Grandagon-N was very good. For me, this is the best compromise regarding weight, size and price. If you use a dark cloth for focusing, it should be fine.

As you said, in terms of performance, there are no real world differences between all those modern 90mm lenses.

Don't forget the Caltars as they are just rebranded Rodenstocks and are often sold for a bit less.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Start thinking about (enquiring) how the lens will work on your camera and what additional equipment you may need to buy - recessed lens board, bag bellows, etc. I'm going through that process now (not with a Chamonix, but with another camera) and I'm still buying stuff to optimize for my type of usage.

The f/5.6 lenses give not only a brighter image on the ground-glass, the angle of view is also larger. For the Super-Angulon it's 100° for the f/8 version and 105° for the f/5.6. This means 215mm compared with 235mm.

Peter K

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Norris View Post
    I'm looking used, and I'm on a very tight budget. I don't need super high resolution obviously, nor a real wide coverage as I won't be using extensive movements. Focusing speed is more important.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!
    Sounds tailor-made application for a plain old Schneider f:6.8 Angulon. There's a lot of variation between individual lenses, so test it carefully before your "return to sender" period is over.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Sounds tailor-made application for a plain old Schneider f:6.8 Angulon. There's a lot of variation between individual lenses, so test it carefully before your "return to sender" period is over.
    Seconded. I use both a 90/6.8 Angulon and a 90/8 Super Angulon, depending on what I'm intending to shoot and how far I have to carry it. I also use the 90/8 on 5x7", where it gives more even exposure than the little old Angulon.

My 90mm Angulon test on 5x7" film, yet again.

I use a 90/8 Nikkor SW on a 617 rollfilm camera, and the results continue to astound me (plus this lens has a 235mm image circle).

Another vote for the Nikon 90/8. Excellent lens and extremely portable.

Thomas

I have used a (a) Schneider Super Angulon 8/90, a (b) Rodenstock Grandagon-N 8/90 as well as the older (c) Schneider Angulon 6.8/90. I have found little difference between (a) and (b), with respect to performance or weight. Both lenses deliver reallly good results and will give you some room for movements for 4x5. If you ask me which lens is better I couldn't tell.

The Schneider Angulon is different. Much lighter, excellent performance if you don't use movements on the camera (it is really amazing to see such an excellent performance with a lens that is 40 to 50 years old), but no room for movement on 4x5. A really good choice for backpacking but if you plan to use movements for indoor shooting it has its limitations.

All my experience is with black and white only, I don't know how the lenses perform with color films.

Thomas