Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Epson 1650 scanner

Re: Help Epson 1650 scanner

When I started using my Epson 10000XL the scan would also not come up during preview. What happened was the preview scan default setting was set at "Thumbnail" and would not preview. I can't remember exactly how I found the scan preview default but it was not difficult.

Hope that helps
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

my 1640 can do something similar, but it is just so far out on the exposure that it looks like it hasn't worked (I get a 'all black' prescan). I highlight an area in the scan preview and hit 'auto levels' or whatever the button is called and it shows the prescan.

Thanks Scott, Marko do you mean cable coming out of the lid? Because I had also problem with the transparency reader for 6X6 ( which is different lid) again reading B/W negatives. No problem with slides or transparencies.While I was writing this I said let's try again and it worked two times. I noticed that when scanning was finished small window appears "preparing thumbnails" and then scan is complete and successful. When scan was not successful under this small window briefly the Epson smart panel would appear and next thing it said could not find film. I think that would indicate that something is wrong with software? No.? Should I take the software out and reload it again?

Thanks for your help Greg

Greg,

I really don't feel like making unqualified guesses, as that's the only thing I can really do at this point and from afar, and that is definitely not going to help you!

That said, I don't know about 6x6 lid, I have only the 4x5 which I bought off the eBay for a pittance and which came with several holders, 6x6 and 4x5 among them. The Epson scan utility recognized it right out of the box and it was a simple matter of picking "Film" from a drop-down menu and then choose between "Positive", "Color negative" and "B&W negative" from another drop-down. The rest was the same as for any other scan.

If I attempt to scan an empty lid - i.e. no film at all - I simply get black box but no error messages. But then again, I am using it on a Mac and not under Windows, so the software could be different or you could be simply using a different mode. If so, you can try shifting to more manual mode, since what you describe sounds like some sort of default "solution".

At the very least, you should try and set the same scanner on a different computer with fresh software installation and so get an indication where to look next, the software or the hardware. If it works fine, then it will definitely tell you it's the software, either the scanning utility and/or the driver. But if you get the same sort of problems there, it could still be both, though.

Thanks Marko for your advice and support. I will figure it out obviously needing some time to resolve this. I think next time I will buy Mac. My son loves his.
    Weird thing happened yesterday while I was trying to answer this post, I had idea to just insert transparency under the lid. And voilą it scanned color transparency in B/W, so I said OK replaced transparency with B/W negative and it scanned. Instead single window with single image two windows appeared #1 and #2 with half image on one and other half on #2. I said the program got confused so I got out of the program initiated it again scanned the same image it showed me again two separate images.After that It did not want to scan any more kept on repeating "could not find film". Really

Greg

Greg, I'm in a worse position to help as my 1640 is older and the software is probably different, but are you using it in 'Full Auto Mode' mode? I tried mine in "Full Auto Mode" with nothing in it and it comes up with the 'Cannot find document' message. Try Manual mode. In manual mode you just get a view of the scanner lid. Doesn't explain why it 'goes to sleep' on you though.

Hi Nigel
    It behaves like this only with B/W negatives. I always use manual setup because source and type are different each time. I have the scanner for about 5 years. But I feel it should work or maybe they are made to last only 5 years? I used the 4X5 lid only three times so far. I found it useful to see what the image is like before I go to the dark room inverts negative into positive.
    If you see only lid in the scan it probably set on "flatbed" and it thinks it is a photograph .

Greg

Today I received answer on my email send to Epson technical support. They said the following:
    " If you receive a message that the scanner could not find film,click the CONFIGURATION button and uncheck AUTOMATIC PREVIEW FOR FILM, then OK, and try the PREVIEW button(page with corner folded down) again
    In this mode you will have to manually marquee or crop the slides you wish to scan. Use left mouse button to lasso one slide inside a box made of dotted lines, the click scan."
    So it is working now thanks to all who were trying to help, I hope that I did help someone else.

Greg

It's always something simple. The first thing I do whenever I install an application is to disable most if not all "automatic" options, so I had that option unchecked ages ago when I installed my scanner and totally forgot it was even there!

Anyway, it's great you found the solution.

Thanks Marko

Greg