Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
Yes. I haven't purchased one yet since they are sort of pricey. Purchasing a SCSI card is a much cheaper alternative, but my current PC is short on available PCI slots so I may eventually adopt that option.

Don Bryant
Hi Don,

That's the thing with these machines... if one knew that it would definitely work, then it wouldn't be such a major decision in spending the dollars.

So, are you using an Adaptec on your scanner now? I have an extra 2930U for a PC if you're interested in giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boden View Post
I'm using Trident 4.0 on a Howtek 4500. However, when I bought my scanner, it came with Trident 3.5. After installing 3.5 and messing around with it a bit, I immediately changed to 4.0.

As for a significant difference, if I remember correctly, color management did not function properly on 3.5. Therefore, a switch to 4.0 is mandatory in a color managed workflow. Other differences were simply operational with more control.

Aside from that, keep in mind that Trident is not the most intuitive application. It certainly takes a while getting used to and to master. I'd say that I'm still learning something with every scan.

If you're not aware already, there is one gotcha with the Trident software and that pertains to the dongle, which plugs into a PS2 port. To get it to function, you'll need a USB-to-PS2 adapter.

Good luck and let us know what you end of using.
Hello Mike,

Thanks very, very much for the input... no, I wasn't aware of the need for an extra adapter. So, I guess that makes my decision that much easier. The upgrade from v2 to v4 is $495. The Silverfast Ai is $600. But, not having to hunt down the USB-PS2 adapter will make the difference that much more palatable.

Ted,

Nice to see another Mac man!

Cheers