Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Meyerowitz interview

Re: Joel Meyerowitz interview

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T. Murphy View Post
    Personally, I had thought Meyerowitz was as well known within the history of photography as Weston. Certainly better known than someone rather obscure, like Atget.

Wow!
    Damn - finally some real fighting words in this thread...

Hopefully you've read Bystander where Atget's seminal place is recognised? Without Atget there probably would be no Winogrand, Friedlander, Frank etc (or Meyerowitz) as we know them. Atget is the foundation for much of what followed and still is.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by harrykauf View Post
    Are you up to date in anything??

"The Zapatista Army of National Liberation (Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional, EZLN) is an armed revolutionary group based in Chiapas, one of the poorest states of Mexico. "

"The group takes its name from Emiliano Zapata, a proponent of the Mexican Revolution (1910-1920); The Zapatistas see themselves as his ideological heirs.

In 1994, they declared war "against the Mexican state.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatis...nal_Liberation

geez..they are writing about this Subcomandante Marcos guy even in germany.
    LOL...certainly more up to date than you are. But then again what can I expect from experts like you and Hyde who get google and wikipedia tid bits and all of the sudden are experts.

For starters, the leader of the so called army joined with the presidential candidate Lopez Obrador to increase voting among the poorer states, this effectively nullified the effectiveness of the rebels and in fact it has for all purposes disbanded the group.

Comandante Marcos is old news and in fact many of his old supporters view him as having sold out for attempting to participate in the politcal arena.

So, the two of you as I said before better know what you are talking about before you try and correct me, I not only know more than you about Mexico, but probably about the US as well.

Then again, why am I arguing with two new commer wannabes....off to the ignore list you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Zapatista rebels where from the Mexican revolution in 1910, they are not around anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    For starters, the leader of the so called army joined with the presidential candidate Lopez Obrador to increase voting among the poorer states, this effectively nullified the effectiveness of the rebels and in fact it has for all purposes disbanded the group.

Comandante Marcos is old news and in fact many of his old supporters view him as having sold out for attempting to participate in the politcal arena.
    The link to the wikipedia article was just to clarify that Tim was refering to the modern
    Zapatistas in his joke. I dont follow mexican politics and know about Marcos only
    from an article about his role as a writer and about the Zapatistas from their online
    resistance attemts around 10 years ago.
    So its quite amazing how something that doesnt exist since 1910 can still get noticed
    by someone like me who isnt even interested in the subject and lived in austria at that
    time.

The link to the wikipedia article was just to clarify that Tim was refering to the modern
    Zapatistas in his joke. I dont follow mexican politics and know about Marcos only
    from an article about his role as a writer and about the Zapatistas from their online
    resistance attemts around 10 years ago.
    So its quite amazing how something that doesnt exist since 1910 can still get noticed
    by someone like me who isnt even interested in the subject and lived in austria at that
    time.
    You once again show your ignorance, you should have just stayed out of it from the beguinning and I would not have to show just how ignorant you are.

When you say "something that does not exist since 1910" it is clear you are not aware that these are two entirely different things. Emiliano Zapata was the rebel who led the Mexican revolution in 1910. The Zapatista movement in southern Mexico only took the name of the revolution general but has nothing to do with the Mexican revolution, the most that it can be said is that it was created in the same spirit of a desire for greater equality, but once again it has nothing to do with the Mexican revolution so in that sense it has not "existed" since 1910 nor is it still being noticed.

So I guess the one that is not "up to date" as you put it is you not me..huh?

It was fun for a while but I think I will start feeling sorry for you,
    so have a nice day.

It was fun for a while but I think I will start feeling sorry for you,
    so have a nice day.
    Don't worry I already feel sorry for you...you have a nice day too.

I like reading the first post in a thread and then the last, trying to figure how it ended up that way. It started with Joel Meyerowitz and ended with Zapata.

So, Jews are really from Mexico?

Just a thought, can we come to a consensus about one artist, piece of work or anything for that matter that we either like or dislike?

For the record, "I can't believe it's not butter" IS not butter

Robert

This reminds me of when my niece asked me why the sky was blue. My answer was that a bunch of us grown-ups got together, looked at the sky, and decided we would call it blue ... and that's it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I really like Frank Zapata's music.

Vaughn
    Don't eat that yellow snow...