Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creo IQSmart3, Ebay .

Re: Creo IQSmart3, Ebay .

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    a high end scanner without software and a big chunk missing from the side smells suspicious at best - hmmm wonder if any service bureau has been - well - robbed
    My guess is that it was just "found after it fell off the truck".
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    My guess is that it was just "found after it fell off the truck".
    When I received my scanner it was packaged like a tank in a large crate that weighed 300 lbs. I can't imagine a big company shipping in anything less or with a less then completely reliable carrier but things do happen. Where's the software?

This was not a new machine, it was a 2002. So the shipping damage was probably done during a resale with incompetent packaging.

There are other potentially pricey repairs, a replacement anti-halation glass costs $900, which can be damaged by using regular window cleaner on the coating. These machines are not for the faint of heart.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    Looks wise is negligable IMHO, but functionality which requires the software and a cheap Mac system is critical.
    Not that it matters here, but the IQ3 uses modern software that runs on a current MAC

Apparently the scanner was bought via buy it now. Looking at the scanner, and owning the same exact model, i can tell you that it had to take one hell of a hit to smash those parts and I would be very wary of it's alignment and even basic scanning functionality.
    As Jetcode points out it's lack of software is very suspect as the IQ3 comes with the full software package. If the unit is stolen, the buyer is at risk of having nothing more than a source for spare parts.

Some more info .... the serial number may be a bit suspicious .... just for kicks I am running it through inside sales at kodak to see if the machine has a history of any kind.

Bottom line is that, like any machine of this kind, for 1500 bucks you are throwing the dice. If it has any working parts at all it can be rebuilt for a cost that would not likely exceed $7000. pricy but still a bargain. I'll report back if the folks at Kodak know anything. As others have noted, 1)1000 minimum for the software, 2)probably needs a new glass for another 900, 3)doesn't look like it has a full set of masks ....

Playing in the used high-end scanner market on eBay or anywhere other than from a legit reseller or broker is insanity IMO, that is unless you consider 1500 change you can afford to throwaway. I have turned down offers of three, no four high-end scanners that people wanted to give to me or sell real cheap. None, of course, was in good working order and I wasn't ready to spend 300 bucks shipping to get 'em here just to play.

Friends, I got the scanner. My second from Ebay in a month. First one was an Eversmart Pro II which I just got up and running. It was a bargain, came with everything imaginable and runs just lovely. So why the IQsmart3? More of an impulse than anything. Is that allowed these days? Rather uncharacteristic for me. A risk? I suppose. But I have become rather familiar witht he oXygen program, and take some comfort that the power and status lights go green. There is initial stability and itegrity. As for software, I have a version of Oxygen that may work and a bead on a later version from a buddy as well. If it is as good as it looks (except for the crack), then the resolution substantially greater than the Pro II, marginally higher dmax and true 16 bit capability makes it a good bet. If it needs a bit of work, even investing a couple grand will make for a fine machine - even a bargain when compared to a resellers price. If it works, I'll put up the Pro II and send it to a good home - maybe one of you folks. And if the most dire predictions of some of you grim reapers are realized, I'll sink the damn thing in front of my house and use it as a mooring.After all, the $1500 I paid is what a long ski weekend costs me. So we'll just stay home, and I'll play with my little smarty. Will keep you all posted - the good or the bad.

Case damaged and no software? One explanation was that it's a stolen item.

Well, now I see that has already been pointed out. And I thought I was so smart.......

If you want details on getting it repaired send me an email.