Thread: Imagine a lens similar to Super Symmar XL 300mm f8, what will it like? how much?

Imagine a lens similar to Super Symmar XL 300mm f8, what will it like? how much?

I bet many who shoot format larger than 8x10 would like to have a wide angle lens similar to the SSXL series with superior color rendition and definition. I don't think Schneider is making one even though there is a clear gap in its lens line up. Such a lens would cover 16x20 with 6 inch shift (enough to cover 20x24), with size similar to the 210mm SSXL. If such a lens becomes available in the near future, what is your vision of such a lens? How much would you pay for it? I am new to ULF so I am throwing some wild idea here. I have a 12 inch metrogon f/6.3. I am planning on building a 16x20 camera that can use this lens.

james

Re: Imagine a lens similar to Super Symmar XL 300mm f8, what will it like? how much?

Some time back there was a group special order for the 300mm Sironar W (500mm rated image circle). I have no idea whether any lenses from that order are still available. A used copy usually crops up on Ebay maybe once a year. See:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c..._detail&p=2024

My vague recollection is that it covers 16x20 but I can't swear to it.

Re: Imagine a lens similar to Super Symmar XL 300mm f8, what will it like? how much?

The problem you face is that 1114, 717, 8X20 and even 14X17, 12X20 can be serviced by production graphic arts lenses for a fraction of what the lens you describe would cost. That leaves your only market as folks with 16X20 and larger cameras. That's just a handful of people literally. I'm thinking of the f9 Computar 305, and the Konica GRII 310mm lenses. Both modern coated lenses. 355 G-Claron is common and not enough different in angle that someone would not chose it for $900 instead ot a 300XL for $5800. Of course there are X number of Dr. lawyer indian chief that would have to have it if Schneider made it but.......they might sell out a run of 30 eventually?

For such lenses no modern shutter is aviable. Schneider makes two lenses for ULF-Cameras, http://www.schneider-kreuznach.com/n...ne_art_xxl.htm
    but with Copal 3 the longer one, 1100mm, starts at f/22. Possible made for "Dr. lawyer indian chief" as Jim has called him.

Peter K

Fuji made a 300mm SW f/8, with a image circle of 720mm and a front element that takes 145mm filters, all fit in a Copal 3 shutter. Never seen one for sale or heard of where one might exist, I think it was a specialty "showpiece" type lens.

If you could find one, I'd be it'd be hideously expensive and a collectors item.

I don't think the shutter is necessarily the problem. A 300/8 is not shutter-limited, at least as far as the aperture required is concerned. A shutter might not be able to withstand the forces that a 300/8 SSXL design might place on the threads under handling, but then you could just make it a 300/11.

And I haven't heard about Copal 3 shutters twisting up under 210 SAs, so I doubt that's a problem.