Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your bag

Re: Show your bag

You don't just flop that thing over on its side on the tripod head?

Colin, what're the dimensions of your 5x12 closed? I want to get a bag for my 5x12, but I think it's a bit bigger (the camera I modified was huge...).

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Thanks Brad. I love the bag just wish it fit me a little better..That bracket is for for mounting the camera on it side. Don't use it that often but it's nice to have for vertical panos. Stole the idea from Lotus

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    You don't just flop that thing over on its side on the tripod head?

Colin, what're the dimensions of your 5x12 closed? I want to get a bag for my 5x12, but I think it's a bit bigger (the camera I modified was huge...).

Scott
    Hi Scott, yeah, I tried that- once. That was plenty!
    The dimensions are roughly 10" x 16" x 5" closed up. Big for a 5x12 but I just had to have rear rise (even though I haven't used it yet). Yours might fit. I picked the bag up last year in Raleigh NC for about $100.

Thanks, Colin - they're actually pretty close in size. Now I have to watch for a sale...

I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW. Food, water, or whatever can be stored on accesory attachments or in a day pack that fits to the back of the pack. Carrying the tripod on the pack works OK. I use "Lock and Lock" food containers that I bought at Walmart. They hold five film holders perfectly. Other accesories go in a third container. My kit includes a Tachihara 4X5, three lenses, a Toyo loupe, a light meter, ten film holders, the tripod, and a Black Jacket that goes on top of the camera to protect the ground glass.

Attachment 7867

Attachment 7868

I've got the same pack as above. The Shen-Hao 4x5, four lenses: 65, 180, 90, 300 (although I usually leave the 300mm at home) four film holders, polaroid and fuji holders, lens shade, filter pouches, light meter, and the bag bellows covers the camera. The rest goes in the flap compartment, dark cloth and polaroid film etc. The polaroid back is a bit obnoxious with its bulk, I'm glad the film I bought is running out.

My tripod is a Berlebach 3042 and there's no way it would fit in the provided sling so I rigged up some straps and I carry that in front. The pack is really nice and it's got room to spare. Very comfortable too, with the hip pads\straps you can put most of the weight there. What's shown here weighs in at 30lbs. (plus the tripod, like 7 lbs. I think) which is a bit of a pain but so far I haven't gone on any long hikes. The most I've walked with that was about six miles which was...plenty! *whew*

blanco_y_negro

Hi everyone,

Here's my made-to-be-abused trusty Tenba. Its contents are more modest than some others displayed here but here we go. It houses my 4x5 camera, 2 Schneider babies and my good old Gossen with its spot attachment - really antiquated stuff in today's standards but what the heck..The Mamiya loupe stands upright next to the meter, and the remaining space houses bits and pieces like black tape, canned air and my compass.

This bag is actually for the digital photographer but I can use it in my own way. The orange dividers are from the old Tenba that I abused for 22 years! (No, I don't own shares in Tenba, nor do I work for them - they just make stuff that lasts..).

The flap goes over the main compartment, and the top cover houses my limited number of filters on the inside and various other little things on the outside pockets (pockets galore). The tubular dark cloth goes between the flap and the top cover, adding more protection. On the bottom is another compartment, a fairly large one, which is designed to hold a laptop; but in my case that's the section where I put my film holders. It really is safe, protecting the equipment well.

Some people might find this heavy but I'd rather have a peace of mind than slipping on a rock and losing all this stuff because it wasn't padded well.

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snider View Post
    I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW. Food, water, or whatever can be stored on accesory attachments or in a day pack that fits to the back of the pack. Carrying the tripod on the pack works OK. I use "Lock and Lock" food containers that I bought at Walmart. They hold five film holders perfectly. Other accesories go in a third container. My kit includes a Tachihara 4X5, three lenses, a Toyo loupe, a light meter, ten film holders, the tripod, and a Black Jacket that goes on top of the camera to protect the ground glass.
    those food containers are a great idea. i ma going to buy some today. thanks

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

The above is just part of the photo gear in my daypack. For the rest plus an explanation of weight, from my webpage select the Backpacking Photo Gear" link at the top of my homepage page. I backpack extensively with my gear and since last year have been using a newer REI backpack to piggyback my big photo daypack to than the blue one shown in the pic at page bottom. Will need to update that. ...David

After discovering that my LowePro Pro Trekker weighs 5Kg even when empty, I decided to look around for other alternatives. I got myself a Mammut traveller-style backpack and then set about figuring out alternatives for the protective padding:

Key:

1. Ebony 45SU with 150mm lens in place, stabilised by internal luggage compression straps
    2. Gnass Gear lens case containing 75, 90, 210 and 300mm lenses, each with cable-release and Lee adapter ring
    3. Lee filter wallet containing various ND grads, polariser and warm-ups
    4. Sekonic 508 light meter in own case.
    5. GnassGear Quickload wallet containing Quickload holder, pen and (usually) QL envelopes.
    6. (In 'wet' compartment) ground sheet
    7. (In 'wet' compartment) fingerless gloves
    8. (In 'wet' compartment) headlamp
    9. Polythene container for temporary storage of oddments whilst working (or food whilst hiking)
    10. Composing frame
    11. (In security compartment) lens wrench, cleaning equipment
    12. Old black fleece doubling as darkcloth (normally stowed over camera)
    13. Spare QL envelopes
    14. Loupe

Also usually present is a notebook and pen. The tripod attaches to the side with the carrying handle, with two legs threaded through the external compression straps and two bungees 'borrowed' from my LowePro bag, attaching top and bottom.

Total weight-saying over the LowePro bag: 2kg!

Here is my pack for my 8x10...a travel pack that I made dividers for.

Zone VI 8x10
    Blue foam case -- Fuji W 300mm f5.6
    Blue lens wrap -- 19" RD Artar (barrel)
    bubble wrap -- a 210mm and a 159mm
    red gadget bag
    darkcloth and Pentax Digital spot

The extra piece of closed-cell foam goes over the camera -- nice to sit on on snow/rough ground...or to set equipment on.

On exterior shot, one can see the detachable top-loading day pack -- holds five 8x10 holders and in the front zippered caompartment goes cable release, note book, et al.

One or two more 8x10 holders can go inside the pack between the extra piece of foam and the front of the pack. I use a Reis A100 and A250 head -- the head can fit into the pack if I go any distance w/o photographing

Vaughn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackExterior.jpg   PackInterior.jpg