Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Films that are available in 8x10 sheet sizes.

Favourite Films that are available in 8x10 sheet sizes.

I am not sure whether the choice of films in 8x10 sheet sizes are as many as those available for the 4x5 format, but I was wondering which films are firm favourites with the folks here, whether colour negative, colour reversal or B&W and what it is that you like about them?

Re: Favourite Films that are available in 8x10 sheet sizes.

Foma ASA 200 -- a very lovely old-fashioned emulsion with the sole downside of having (also old-fashioned) enormous reciprocity corrections.

Ilford HP5+ -- a steady performer, consistant and reliable although I think of this film as being 'ok' rather than 'wow'!

Kodak Tri-x -- nice. Not wow, but nice.

Tmax 400 -- A wow! film in 4x5, with the UV blocking layer gone should also become a wow! film in 8x10. Waiting for its availability.

mjs
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Tmax 400 -- A wow! film in 4x5, with the UV blocking layer gone should also become a wow! film in 8x10. Waiting for its availability.
    TMY never had the UV blocking layer as the TMX does and it should be available in 8x10 at least it was the last time i checked. A clear favorite it is.
    Delta 100, Foma 200 are two slower favorites. I am giving the EFKE PL100 another try, it was a slow favorite for 4x5 but to many emulsion defects and i gave it up. For 8x10 and contact printing i may be willing to live with small defects, will see.

TMY aka Tmax 400....with Pyrocat-HD and Azo. 5x7,8x10 & 7x17. Just wonderful stuff.
    Last edited by John Bowen; 2-Dec-2007 at 06:22. Reason: typo

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

efke 25 and efke 50…

These are interesting suggestions where B&W is preferred. The latest TMY-2 is interesting because of the ISO rating and should provide a very good if not optimum speed to grain ratio. I will probably try it in 35mm to start with to see if I like the tonality before buying a pack of 8x10 film sheets.
    I usually use FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus in 35mm and 120 and 100TMX in 4x5 because it is available in Readyloads.
    Is there anyone using colour film(s)?

EFKE pl100 (inexpensive alternative) and I do also like Tmay 400. I will try some efke 25 sometime soon.

My 8x10 faves are TXP(Tri-X) and FP-4+, ideally having two boxes of each---when I finish the first box it's time to order another! I also shoot and enjoy TMY, Arista.eduUltra(Fomapan 100,) APHS and Efke.

I'd like to try Delta 100, Foma 200, Efke IR, and PW continuous tone ortho one of these days too!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

B&W for 8x10:

HP5+ (love the exposure latitude)
    TMY (when I need to avoid reciprocity failure)
    TMY-2 (its reported improvements are intriguing and this film may become my universal B&W film)

Color for 8x10:

Provia 100F (great general-purpose film, pushable up to two stops)
    Velvia 100 (pushable one stop with very fine grain, tends to overcook reds though. I often use it pushed one stop for shooting fall colors, where I want a highly saturated film with relatively high speed)
    E100VS (better at rendering tonal differences among reds without overcooking greens; my official Bryce Canyon film)
    Velvia 50 (provides a warm look without greens turning slightly yellow, very sharp, can overcook greens a bit)
    Pro 160S (for situations requiring more exposure latitude than chrome can provide, may replace with new Portra 160VC due to reportedly slightly better exposure latitude)
    Portra 400NC (this recently improved emulsion is now more useful for situations requiring high speed. Sometimes use as an alternative to B&W film where use of slow B&W filters (orange, red, etc.) is not feasible due to strong wind)

At this time, all of these films are available in 8x10 (although Velvia 100 must be special ordered or imported directly from Japan).

TMY is my 8x10 film for B&W by a country mile. It's the fastest film available, given it's speed & reciprocity characteristics, and I prefer the T-Max spectral response to traditional films.

I no longer shoot color in 8x10, but I used to love E100SW. If I wanted to shoot color again, I'm not sure what I'd do---probably Velvia 50.