Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any way to speed up LF shots? (Family patience question)

Any way to speed up LF shots? (Family patience question)

Yep a camera that you don't have to focus through a groundglass is always going to be faster than a view camera.

Having said that, there are ways to speed up the process: practice, practice, practice! And if you can't find a Grafmatic holder than try Fuji Quickloads or the newly redesigned Kodak Readyloads (make sure you use the single sheet per packet versions.

About the Mamiya 7's: The main difference between the 7 and the 7II is that the 7II has a multiple exposure capability. I think I've read some reference to having a brighter viewfinder or something, but I don't think it is really significant. The 7's are more plentiful if you're looking for used, but lately I've been beginning to see the 7II's pop up on eBay.

Note that the Mamiyas have interchangable lenses, whereas I don't believe the Fujis do. The current selection is 43mm, 50mm, 65mm, 80mm, 150mm and the new 210mm.

Chris: I can set up my monorail (Arca F-line) faster than I could my field camera because I store it with a lens in place, and I don't have to unfold it. Quickload helps. Another speed up is a good binocular viewer. Although I love looking at the gg, there is no doubt that the binocular viewer speeds things up alot.

I think it's an exercise in frustration to attempt LF work with wife and kids around (unless, perhaps, your children are catatonic). When I go on trips with my family, I don't even bother bringing the LF gear; I've just come to the realization that these can't be photography-oriented trips. I do bring a MF rangefinder (Mamiya 6) and find that I can occasionally steal a couple of good shots. But even that can produce a lot of griping from my children who, after all, expect that I'm going to be spending time with them, not my camera, on family vacations. My advice is to save heavy photography for times when you can really focus on it.

When using LF, if possible get things set up in advance, or at least let the peo ple do whatever they want to do while you're getting set up.

I agree with the others about using a medium-format RF camera for quick high-q uality family snaps; while the quality won't be as high as LF, the family won't look like they've wilted either.

A few suggestions; the little Fuji GS645 foldup 645 camera, which is a mighty handy little camera with a good lens, a clean Mamiya 6 or 7 or, if price is a se rious object, a good Graflex XL. The old XL is a bit heavy and clunky, but otoh the RF/VF is good, the camera is simple and amenable to shade-tree mechanics, an d a nice one complete with f2.8 Planar can fairly easily be found for less than $500.

I am almost never out shooting without the company of my wife. We do a fair bit of hiking and backpacking, the latter could probably not be done without here help. Now to the question of her patience when I am shooting 4x5. (I usually take 10-15minutes minimum for any given shot, from start to finish and don't see that coming down too much except in rare cases) We are finding a happy medium in which she sometimes helps by scouting additional shots while I work on one, helping load film and so on when I need to work quickly and finally by just going on ahead. For this the best investment we have made is a pair of Motorola walkie-talkies! IMHO having a family member just sitting there waiting is boring for them and really bad for your photography. Additionaly, I always have a small 35mm with me, lately a Rollei 35, and for real travel photography I have been using a Rolleiflex which is as quick as 35mm for me, perhaps more so as you don't have to choose a lens!

I left out the important bit: I have settled (for the time;-) on the two Rollei cameras because of their compact size, ease of use, and razor sharp results. I have rarely seen 35mm film that is as crisp as the Rollei 35 (I have an SE with the HFT coated 40/2.8) and the Rolleiflex has a 3.5 Planar which is sharper than that and equal to my LF lenses.

Chris, with regards to MF I would stick with 6x9. It is capable of delivering su perb quality sometimes difficult to tell from 4x5. Cameras you may wish to consi der in this format are technical cameras from Horseman VH, VH-R(rangefinder), Li nhof, they all have a fair array of movments which make them more versatile then fixed cameras although the Mamiya Press is a beaut. esp. with the 50mm lens and is quite cheap on the s/hand market.

With regards to 4x5, again Horseman, Linhof and Wista provide excellent tech. ca meras all hand-holdable. But for me my it would have to be the light and compact Cambo Wide with either the 47, 58 or 65 Super Angulon lens. Not a rangefinder, you would still need to focus on the gg for acurate focusing but with one of the above WA lenses the hyperfocal distance should be more then adequate for most h and held shots. A seperate viewfinder(which is a must, free if you order the cam era from Robert White) and monoviewer are available.Regards,

For those times that I`m in a hurry,{wife,children,foul weather} and still want to shoot large format, I use a field camera with a lens that will fold in place with the cable release on it, a 612 rollfilm back, and optical finder. Leave the camera on the tripod, and you only need a few seconds to open the camera and slip a lens shade on and you`re in business...

i posted earlier and have been thinking about this all day, because i am facing a similar issue (i will be going abroad for a semester this spring and will be in the company of non-photogs but will still want high quality photos). so i have been looking, but in a different vein.

so, as an addendum to my earlier post, why not check out the hobo cameras? fixed lens. fixed focus. point and shoot 8x10. would mightily speed things up. they are discussed elsewhere on the forum.

-m