Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

Re: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Pleic View Post
    Back to the original issue of "ditching" MF...

I guess it depends on the type of photgrapher you are. If photography puts bread on your table, chances are that your MF will be gathering dust (if not already sold)... long ago replaced by the top of the line DSLR.
    Actually, I just did a couple of editorial jobs with my Hasselblad. The art directors loved the tonality of the scanned B+W film and said they'd like to see more in the future.

DSLRs are great, and I use my Nikons everyday...but there's a look to a nice MF neg you just can't (easily?) replicate in post.

That being said, anyone looking to offload any Hasselblad or Mamiya gear, cheap? :-)

I'm still using my Mamiya 7 with XP2, Tri-X, and Ilford Delta 3200 for street photography, and a 4x5 A/S for landscape. Have not seen anything digitally that can surpass the optics of this Mamiya rangefinder and the tonal range of B&W film, not to mention the ultra quiet leaf shutter. Sometimes I cannot even tell if the shutter has tripped, it is that quiet.

This is my first post here, and this question caught my eye. I've started looking around for a 10x8 camera in a gentle, rather longing manner. I used to assist many photographers who shot 10x8 as a kid. Back then everyone I worked with used heavy Sinar gear, and a large crew.

I have been my own photographer for over twenty years (feels like minutes!) now, and the last few years have taken me entirely digital. I love digital, it suits the deadlines of the kind of work I do, but there is a part of me that still dreams of sitting on a hill with a trusty plate camera waiting for the light to be just right. That's what brought me here!

I have two large cases of RZ67 gear that never gets touched anymore as all my work is done of that cheap and nasty feeling Fuji made Hassy H2 with the Phase One backs, and the glorious Canon EOS system (just got my Mklll - very nice indeed).

Anyway, I digress, back to LF - I'm looking for simple, easy, lightweight, ultra portable landscape cam. I've read about things I've never heard of before, Phillips, Ritter, Canam, Ebony as well as names I've know all my life, like Linhof, Arca, Toyo, Horseman, Wista and Sinar.

They all look like lovely implements, but the one I'll enjoy the most is the one that is easiest to use, and to that end the big Fotoman caught my eye. Looks like it might be an easy 'grab and go' camera that would be almost indestructible, but of course it will have a lot of limitations. Has anyone tried it? I did use the search function, but nothing came up for it.

FWIW, since this thread started, I have shot eight (I think it's eight) rolls of Efke 127 in a Kodak Brownie! That's six and a half more rolls than the 35mm I've shot.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Big Negs Rock!

Denis,

I love my 2x3 Crown Graphic with it's 120 back. I take it out all the time when I want to shoot in locations and don't want to put on a back pack for the Sinar. It's uncoated Tessar 4" lens is interesting. It can be contrasty or with a bit of flare very pictorialist. It can be both in the same frame. I really to like this camera. Did I say my dad purchased it new in 1938? I have the letter of receipt for the transaction. BTW, I have a 1938 Leica I also like, and a Bronica that was given to me: 2 bodies & 5 lenses with odds and ends. I don't shoot with it much since I don't feel connected to it. But it's a great camera. BTW I only shoot B&W for me. Color is the day job. :>
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Love the Mamiya 6, Pentax 67, and 6x7 roll-film holder for 4x5.
    Mike

Hasselblad sold, RB sold, Rollei sold, still have a Yashicamat to sell and a leftover Mamiya 645; Probably will sell my 4x5 Graphic after a quick refinish and my 2x3 Graphic. Now concentrating on shooting my Nikkormat and a 3x4 Graflex.

At one time I 'almost' wrote off my Yashica 124gs and my Rolleis but for a nice sized neg with a somewhat pocketable camera nothing can beat a TLR. Having a single lens really stops the camera bag from being filled with heavy and often unnecessary additional lenses and focuses the mind to one focal length/view which I very quickly find is all I need....now if I could apply that type of thinking to my other formats I could sell all the other lenses I have taking up all my cash. :-)

CP Goerz

Of all my cameras (I collect and shoot), the one camera I will not leave without on any serious trip (just back from New Mexico) is the Agfa Super-Isolette folder. It packs on my hip, is razor sharp, and a joy to use (only forgetting to cock the shutter from time to time ). On my visit to White Sands, I took about thirty DSLR photos (for color only) and about 72 with the old mf folder. I expect there are some real winners with that mf Acros fine grain film... I haven't had the time to develop any film yet, but it's begging me to stay up late tonight.

On the other hand, I have sold two Fuji rangefinders in the last year to purchase more LF gear.... 8x10 primarily and roll film backs for the 4x5 (which replaced the Fujis).

i have a question. does 6x9 cm count as large format?