Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL vs. 80mm Super Symmar XL

Re: Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL vs. 80mm Super Symmar XL

I am in the happy position of both. Never used them in a side by side comparison but some notes: If you need movements the 72 mm is the way to go. The 80mm on a recessed lensboard will fit inside the closed master technica. Depending on the application you could get away without center filter on the 72mm. On the 80mm I think you can't go without. The same center filter of the 80mm will fit on the 58mm. I wish you wisdom with your choice!

I bought the 80mm XL for two principal reasons. One was the small size and weight. The other was that I thought the focal length was close enough to both 75mm and 90mm that it would take the place of those two lenses, saving weight and space. I wouldn't feel the same way about a 72mm lens, to me that's too far from 90mm to take the place of a 90mm.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a center filter for the 72mm that's in very good shape that I'd sell a good discount from new. PM if interested.

-Michael

Depending on the application you could get away without center filter on the 72mm
    Gary, interesting observation. What application(s) would that apply to? One of the reasons I decided not to go the 72XL route was that all the vendors I spoke with said the CF was necessary all the time! That was one reason I went with the 75 Grandagon.

I'd be interested in anyone who has been in the fortunate position to compare the SA's against the Grandagons.

Gary, interesting observation. What application(s) would that apply to?

these where taken on portra NC 160 with the 72mm sa without a centerfilter on 4 X 5. And are not corrected in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Gary, interesting observation. What application(s) would that apply to? One of the reasons I decided not to go the 72XL route was that all the vendors I spoke with said the CF was necessary all the time! That was one reason I went with the 75 Grandagon.

I'd be interested in anyone who has been in the fortunate position to compare the SA's against the Grandagons.
    I have still one Grandagon, the 65/4.5 and have had the 75/4.5, 90/4.5 and some earlier ones. I replaced the 75/4.5 with the 72 SA-XL and the 90 with the 90/8 Nikkor. The 75/4.5 was a decent lens, but not in the same class as the 72. Also, the extra coverage of the 72 is important to me, as with the 75 on a vertical 4x5 shot I could not bring down the horizon far enough on many an occasion. The difference is significant. I sometimes unscrewed the front filter attachment ring from the 75 Grandagon to get another degree of light, as it is that ring that first cuts into the light cone. The 72 is just a superior lens, with a lot higher performance right to the corners, and the filter ring is large enough so that it doesn't cut into the coverage.

I wouldn't go out without a center filter for either of them. At similar angles, the falloff seems about equal to me. I don't always use a center filter with the 72 (nor with the 75G before) but for commercial work it was essential to have it. Of course, when using the center filter, the coverage of the 75 was very slightly less again.

The 90 got replaced because a common use for that focal length is with my 'light' outfit, and the 90/8 Nikkor is about half the weight. Also, since I really never shoot wider than f/11 anyway, the higher speed of the Grandagon was insignificant. Focussing wasn't an issue either. The Grandagon couldn't really be used at any wider aperture than the Nikkor, and the Nikkor being the only 90f/8 that has 105 degree coverage meant I wasn't losing out in that area.

I don't think the f/4.5 Grandagons are any worse (or better) than the f/5.6 SA's from the same era, but lens design has moved on.

I have an Apo-Grandagon (35mm) and it compares well with the 47 and 58 SA-XL's I use. In the last decade or so Schneider has made a bigger effort to update their lens line than any other brand, but Rodenstock is hardly second tier. Nikon and Fuji have not updated their lenses in the same way, so they have fallen a bit further behind, even though I use and am very satisfied with some lenses from each.

My main use is architectural photography, so the wideangles are my bread and butter.

Although I don't own a Grandagon, I doubt there's a major difference in light fall-off characteristics between the 75 and the 72XL, which would mandate the use of a center filter for one but not for the other. If you search this forum, you may find the thread in which there's a link to a table showing light fall-off characteristics of several wide-angle lenses (iirc also the 72XL). And (allso iirc) the light fall-off characteristics of wide-angle constructions (as the 72XL) seems is better than the one of "normal" lens constructions (as the 80XL) - but no guarantee on that.