Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

Re: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

If I did serious architecture then the geared Bogen heads would be invaluable. The 410 I had was sloppy but somewhere online are instructions on how to tighten them up. Also you would probably want to do some surgery to use an alternative to the Bogen plate system or suck it up and accept that you have to use the world's worst quick release plate....

The Linhof 3-D head is my favorite now, I have used most of the various Gitzos, the Bogen 410, several Arca balls... It is very compact, solid, and the levers are ideal for travel -- nothing to get wacked or bent.

It is sized for medium format and small to medium sized 4x5. About the same as an Arca-Swiss B1 or the Bogen 410 in that regard, good on a #3 Gitzo tripod. I would not want a long monorail or 8x10 on it, although they would work in a pinch.

I think I paid around $400 for a used one from German eBay. It's recent, black, but I think the older ones are probably just as good, just different cosmetics.

It is also liberating to be free of those damn Arca plates that everyone seems obbsessed with. Just use the simple screw ;-)

I'm far happier with the 410 than with ballheads for 45. They can be tightened up with an allen wrench in each of the 3 axis controls. Mine, however, has become somewhat stiff...does anyone know a straightforward way of lubricating or adjusting tension?
    -Mick

Just returned from 2 weeks in Bryce,Zion,Capitol Reef, and both Antelope Canyons with a Toyo 45A2 plus Nikon gear atop a Velbon CF535 w/Manf.410 head. Worked fine.

I'm new to 4x5 photography, but in outfitting my Cambo NX, I purchased a Cullmann Magnesit 35 that I'm quite pleased with especially since it was on sale at Adorama.

How about Arca Swiss Z1? Anybody here using it?

I was looking at the 468MGRC2, it looks good on paper and it's 10kg load capacity should be fine with my diddy Ebony 4x5, and it uses the same base plates I already have. I'm put off by the reportedly rubbish base plates on the 410, not so bothered for carrying out surgery on it to get it usable, and it is big.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    My favorite is the Bogen 410 geared head for architecture for the precise, methodical, leveling and the 468MG Hydrostatic Ball Head with RC4 Rapid Connector for quick draw landscape. It is lighter and super fast to set up for landscape and I don't need the leveling precision. Both will hold a 4x5 with a long lens effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Noordewier View Post
    I'm far happier with the 410 than with ballheads for 45. They can be tightened up with an allen wrench in each of the 3 axis controls. Mine, however, has become somewhat stiff...does anyone know a straightforward way of lubricating or adjusting tension?
    -Mick
    Hi Mick,
    Funny,
    I just noticed yesterday a bit of stiffness on one of the controls and am going to look into ways of lubrication/loosening, etc.

Frank, when you say the linhof 3-d head..is that the 3663 3 way levelling head, or another slightly older linhof model?

Marc

3-WAY LEVELLING HEAD
    This head combines total flexibility and light weight with extremely compact size and maximum stability. Eccentric locking levers positively secure the camera at any angle. Holds cameras with tele photo lenses and view cameras up to 5x7", especially suitable for precise camera adjustment in copy work. Tilt motions and pan rotation lock separately. Top plate and base dia. 77mm with 1/4" (051644 spare) and 3/8" (052709 spare) special camera screw. Height 90mm, weight 800g.

B&H is $754.96 USD

Thumbs up Re: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I thought you were an ardent Tiltall devotee, Bill.
    Hi David -- Happy Thanksgiving.
    I am definitely a TILTALL proponent when weight/price/rigidity/reliability are concerned. It remains the standard against which one must look when considering buying anything else.
    But that doesn't mean that I have not accumulated a closet full of tripods and heads for various duties. For example, when weight is a determining factor and cost is not, there may be better alternatives.
    Bill
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Bill.

I ended up selling one of my Tiltalls but still have one as my medium-sized tripod. I've got it down to three tripods, a studio stand, and a copy stand, four heads counting the Tiltall.