Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st photo project - comments appreciated

Re: 1st photo project - comments appreciated

The first 2 are beautiful. Such incredibly horrible architecture, but in the best of ways

First off, thank you so much for the encouraging comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Question. Did you have to ask to use the 4x5 on the grounds and inside? Or do they give staff latitude to take photos on their own time wherever they want?
    Scott, parts of the lab are open to the public during daytime hours and I can't imagine there would be any problem with anyone setting up a 4x5 there. As a user I can go pretty much where I want as long as I have my ID badge on my person and obey safety procedures, signs, etcetera. I keep waiting to be approached and questioned but it hasn't happened yet.

alanps

Probably just and echo of others - but if this is your first project then wow you are doing very well indeed! There are many who are on their 10th/50th project not up to this standard...

And because I think so highly of this - I am going to throw out some honest criticism.....

They are technically nice - and aethetically very pleasing - however my take is that they tell me nothing about you - they are a little too nice frankly...

In future projects you will become confident enough in your ability (heck if the comments here haven't given you some confidence nothing will!) and you will start to play around a little and we will start to see something of your own personal style and take on things...

Hope this is taken in the right spirit - your work is excellent - and what you need to ask yourself is how to move to the next level - at the pace you are going (judging by this) you can move up a notch quickly

Quote Originally Posted by alanps View Post
    They are technically nice - and aethetically very pleasing - however my take is that they tell me nothing about you - they are a little too nice frankly...

In future projects you will become confident enough in your ability (heck if the comments here haven't given you some confidence nothing will!) and you will start to play around a little and we will start to see something of your own personal style and take on things...

Hope this is taken in the right spirit - your work is excellent - and what you need to ask yourself is how to move to the next level - at the pace you are going (judging by this) you can move up a notch quickly
    Thanks for the critique Alan, it is truly appreciated. What you say is what haunts me. There is nothing I want more than to make unique photographs that move people. In many ways learning technique is the easy part but creating something that causes an emotional response from a viewer is another story. I hope that if I keep shooting I'll eventually find what I am looking for. Thanks again for the comments and kind words.

Show off.... LOL... very nice work