Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silvershotz Current Issue

Re: Silvershotz Current Issue

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    For what it's worth I purchased SilverShotz over every other magazine on that newsrack and there was a LOT of them. Many of them used glossy paper but none of them offered exactly what SilverShotz did in this issue. I agree the paper is a bit flat but the images are really well expressed on the paper they selected.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm definitely not saying Silvershotz was terrible or anything negative like that. I just think they could do a lot better for either the same or even less than they're paying for paper right now... and well, the layout could use some work. Are they as good as some of the other magazines out there? No. Does that mean they shouldn't be bought? Absolutely not.

Obviously they're doing something right if they're around as long as they are and I definitely would encourage photographers to buy as many magazines from the bookstore as possible and to support photography magazine publishers. I'm not a subscriber to many magazines only because mailman tries to shove magazines into my small little mailbox thingy for my apartment building which winds up ripping and destroying many magazines... no matter how many times I've tried to complain, he still just doesn't care. But when the big boss cuts me a check, I usually wind up spending an entire Saturday reading photography magazines like LensWork, B&W and CamerArts. I've actually been in touch with Tim Anderon a few times and worked with him last year. Really REALLY nice guy.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm definitely not saying Silvershotz was terrible or anything negative like that. I just think they could do a lot better for either the same or even less than they're paying for paper right now... and well, the layout could use some work. Are they as good as some of the other magazines out there? No. Does that mean they shouldn't be bought? Absolutely not.

Obviously they're doing something right if they're around as long as they are and I definitely would encourage photographers to buy as many magazines from the bookstore as possible and to support photography magazine publishers. I'm not a subscriber to many magazines only because mailman tries to shove magazines into my small little mailbox thingy for my apartment building which winds up ripping and destroying many magazines... no matter how many times I've tried to complain, he still just doesn't care. But when the big boss cuts me a check, I usually wind up spending an entire Saturday reading photography magazines like LensWork, B&W and CamerArts. I've actually been in touch with Tim Anderon a few times and worked with him last year. Really REALLY nice guy.

To be truly honest I found the layout in SilverShotz excellent and the content interesting. If they had LensWorks imaging capability they would only increase my interest in that magazine. While I only briefly glanced through Focus I saw a lot of polish but not a lot that interests me. I'd rather have content then polish and both if possible. Now I most certainly did not buy Focus to have it around for more than a few minutes so I am not short changing your offering at all. I consider myself an ordinary consumer purusing through the mags. I didn't get Lenswork either but most likely will if Beth Moon has a portfolio in it. I can't find View Camera anywhere but in the past I found it to be a little flat and I did have a subscription at one time. That of course should not be taken as a judgement but where I was at at the time. I have no complaints about SilverShotz, it earned my $14.

Joe

To be truly honest I found the layout in SilverShotz excellent and the content interesting. If they had LensWorks imaging capability they would only increase my interest in that magazine. While I only briefly glanced through Focus I saw a lot of polish but not a lot that interests me. I'd rather have content then polish and both if possible. Now I most certainly did not buy Focus to have it around for more than a few minutes so I am not short changing your offering at all. I consider myself an ordinary consumer purusing through the mags. I didn't get Lenswork either but most likely will if Beth Moon has a portfolio in it. I can't find View Camera anywhere but in the past I found it to be a little flat and I did have a subscription at one time. That of course should not be taken as a judgement but where I was at at the time. I have no complaints about SilverShotz, it earned my $14.

Joe
    I would not be offended if you didn't think Focus was for you. Just as I don't really like Silvershotz, there are those that don't like LW and I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like Focus. It's all about personal taste. If everyone liked Focus, then maybe I could afford my own limo!!

There are so many great magazines on the shelves today I consider it a privilege just to be one of them. You have no idea how many people try to start magazines and don't even get accepted by a distributor.... they would kill to be where Focus, LensWork, B&W, ViewCamera, CamerArts and Silvertshotz each are. You would've told me 5 years ago that I would have a magazine on newsstands being able to interview the top photographers and curators around the world, I would've told you that you're nuts.

jetcode

personally I think starting or running a magazine is nuts ...

personally I think starting or running a magazine is nuts ...
    You and me both. PLEASE no more competition!

Ross

Hi Dominic,

Before the Chinese whispers turn this conversation into something entirely different...

You may know already you scored the front cover. Your pics aren't quite my cup of tea, but they certainly demonstrate skills and style far beyond mine, so forgive my audacity.

I'm reminded from Silvershotz' reproductions of your portfolio of selenium toned Ilford Warm Tone FB Semi Matt prints, if that was your aim. They have detail in the blacks and glow in the highlights, pretty damn good to my eye, on your part and theirs.

It's a strange magazine, with Australian, UK and at one time -- or perhaps currently -- Fotospeed links.

They often pick up portfolios from photographers recently published in other B&W periodicals, which may or may not be a problem for subscribers.

Regards - Ross

Sandy's article looks and reads great.