Ash, I'm impressed that you used a 4x5 hand held in this type of situation.

Personally I have no idea what Frank is ranting about. Issue #1, who cares if you use 4x5 or 35mm, the images either speak or they don't. Issue #2, I am getting good contrast and solid blacks on my calibrated monitor. What's the problem? Issue #3, Because your in art school this means you have to "take it"? I get that crap at work where the inbred crowd (I'm a contractor) think every piece of communication has to start with a swift kick in the ass. What a colossal waste of time and energy. If art school is about becoming an asshole, no thanks. If it's about improving your game great, but leave the ego, emotional instability, and control games at home, thank you.

Ash, I like your work. There are a couple of images here that are striking and some that are ordinary, and so it goes. The point is that you took the initiative to make this happen and I think you did well.

Frank, you are a master at portrait work. The last images you posted in the portrait section were pretty amazing. I respect your talent and wisdom but that tone is one of the reasons I didn't enter images in the second book you put together. Who needs it?

Now I suppose a good ass kicking opens new doors but what's wrong with straight forward communication without the edge? I guess that's the game, the initiation.