Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea what caused these lines on my negative?

Any idea what caused these lines on my negative?

I tube-developed this T-MAX 400 negative for 22 min in Pyrocat-HD 1:2:200, agitating 30 sec to start and 10 sec at 11 min. I've used this technique with success many times with my home-made tubes; this is the first time I've gotten these lines (and they’re on the negative, not just the scan).
    Mark McCarvill
    The miracles of creative art lie not in particular materials and methods, but in the basic concepts involved. – Ansel Adams

Re: Any idea what caused these lines on my negative?

Mark:

I'm no expert; however, I've seen similar lines due to a weak fixer in simple tank development over the years with old D-76. The last time it happened to me I just happened to catch it before the wash and after replenishing the fixer the lines went away. Great composition and worth a second shoot if possible, imho.

RF

Before I got the Jobo I did some tube development before I settled on brush development. When I saw line like this it was due to a couple of things. One, the tube was contaminated with fixer or the developer was hotter than the water bath. But they were not as evenly spaced and regular as your example. I get the feeling the film got stressed when you got it out of the tube.

Thanks for the ideas.

Yes, I did notice that my fixer is a bit old, so I was planning to make some fresh stuff.

And I may have splashed some hot water on the tube when I gave it a quick rinse after it came out of the fixing container, as I regulated the water temperature. I had replaced the cap on the tube, so the negative didn’t get the hot water directly, but maybe the temperature rise was enough to stress it. In any case, I'll be more careful with this from now on.

And thanks for the kind words, Rick. What I posted was a crop. Valuable to know it can work as-is! Here's the full frame.
    Mark McCarvill
    The miracles of creative art lie not in particular materials and methods, but in the basic concepts involved. – Ansel Adams

The posts above should fix it...make sure you rinse out the tank before next development - as previous chems can cause problems...check for freshness of pyro, if it starts to get 'exhuasted' it may cause streaking (my problems with streaking were in trays with weak developer - I sometimes rotate the negative in the tray which helps and use fresh pyro). Did you pre-soak for the same amount of time as usual? I pre-soak and think that helps too.

You also have a strange finger like shape in the lower right corner going through the second rock from the right. Not sure if this is related at all to the lines as it's a totally different artifact.

Is this Oxtongue Rapids ? Looks like the spot near the shelter.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

The backing on Tmax can be stubborn. If it is just the back dye you can sometimes re-fix the negs and re-wash. It seems like hypo-eliminator rinses also help remove the backing. Hopefully it is not stress marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lum View Post
    You also have a strange finger like shape in the lower right corner going through the second rock from the right.
    Yes, that’s on the negative too. Strange negative indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lum View Post
    Is this Oxtongue Rapids ? Looks like the spot near the shelter.
    Good eye, Fred. I just discovered this little park last month. Here's another pic, a bit further up the river.
    Mark McCarvill

Quote Originally Posted by scott_6029 View Post
    Did you pre-soak for the same amount of time as usual? I pre-soak and think that helps too.
    I did about a 5-min pre-soak, with maybe 30 sec worth of agitation, rolling the tube back and forth. I usually do a bit more pre-soak agitation, so I did skimp a bit this time. Thanks - I hadn’t thought of that variable at all.
    Mark McCarvill

Look to left bottom: is that a shadow of you? There is something there, same latitude as finger on right.
    Now, crop to eliminate bottom of print at bit of log at left margin; at 5 x 8" or so ratio, it is just great; foreground is not necessary.

Great feeling!

Bernie