Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for submissions

Re: Call for submissions

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    did she enter from this forum?
    No, actually. She was a straight submission.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    It's nearly impossible to get front of the shelf display. We're doing quite well in Borders. We have about 2000 copy increase going on for April there. Couldn't do it for my CE, too expensive to print an extra 2000 copies along with a 32 page increase from my previous issue.

SilverShotz is a great magazine from what I hear. I never have enough time at the bookstores to actually read it. Where do you live?
    This was at the San Rafael Borders in the S.F. bay area. There's a bunch of good magazines and prices aren't getting cheaper. I thought yours had some interesting stuff in it but appeared to be geared to a slightly different audience than I. I like Lens Work and B&W. I used to buy View camera on occasion but that no longer appears on the shelfs. There are a couple of prosumer photography magazines that have some excellent content as well. This months Silvershotz has a couple of portfolios that are really interesting to me. An article on Swedish photographers, one using 35mm strips in a homemade 4x5 pinhole, etc. I'd collect them all except I am not rich in money or time. I will keep checking on Focus and may pick up an issue in the near future. I like Cole Thompson's work and he advertises in your mag as well as others.

Does this mean your collecters edition won't be in Borders?

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    This was at the San Rafael Borders in the S.F. bay area. There's a bunch of good magazines and prices aren't getting cheaper. I thought yours had some interesting stuff in it but appeared to be geared to a slightly different audience than I. I like Lens Work and B&W. I used to buy View camera on occasion but that no longer appears on the shelfs. There are a couple of prosumer photography magazines that have some excellent content as well. This months Silvershotz has a couple of portfolios that are really interesting to me. An article on Swedish photographers, one using 35mm strips in a homemade 4x5 pinhole, etc. I'd collect them all except I am not rich in money or time. I will keep checking on Focus and may pick up an issue in the near future. I like Cole Thompson's work and he advertises in your mag as well as others.

Does this mean your collecters edition won't be in Borders?
    Well, the audience in which the magazine promotes itself to is collectors, really. But as a photographer, there's really a lot of information you can learn about what's going on in the market. I learned so much from the interview with Arthur Tress... he is a fantastic photographer.

No, my CE will be at borders. Borders recently asked for a 2000 copy increase and I can't fulfill that until my next issue after the CE. Although we are using probably the best printer in the US, he does not come cheap. We're also most likely upgrading the paper in the magazine, so there are some new expenses along with being 208 pages vs. the 176 we've been for a year now that makes printing out 2000 additional copies nearly impossible.

Well, the audience in which the magazine promotes itself to is collectors, really. But as a photographer, there's really a lot of information you can learn about what's going on in the market. I learned so much from the interview with Arthur Tress... he is a fantastic photographer.

No, my CE will be at borders. Borders recently asked for a 2000 copy increase and I can't fulfill that until my next issue after the CE. Although we are using probably the best printer in the US, he does not come cheap. We're also most likely upgrading the paper in the magazine, so there are some new expenses along with being 208 pages vs. the 176 we've been for a year now that makes printing out 2000 additional copies nearly impossible.
    What do you guys think of the final cover design?

It looks good! I would like it more if you dialed down the font size enough to separate the N G and T (just a bit) from the 'berg?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    It looks good! I would like it more if you dialed down the font size enough to separate the N G and T (just a bit) from the 'berg?
    All names have to remain the same size font throughout the entire cover. 24 point. I know what you mean, though.

Camille Seaman! Good choice. My word she is getting hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hyde View Post
    Camille Seaman! Good choice. My word she is getting hot.
    I hadn't heard of her until she submitted work to us last issue. Her work was incredible and I called her up the second I received her and viewed her images from her CD. She was in our last issue and the images that were reproduced were amazing and very powerful. She is on the cusp of breaking out and making it big and I definitely want to be the one in 20-30 years from now who said "We got her when she was young and still emerging."

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

What do you guys think of the final cover design?
    Just curious, is the cover image in b&w or just very unsaturated color? All the work I've seen of Seaman's icebergs has been color, and one of my (admittedly closed-minded) peeves is the current stream of "here's the color version, and here's the very same image in black-and-white..."
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Just curious, is the cover image in b&w or just very unsaturated color? All the work I've seen of Seaman's icebergs has been color, and one of my (admittedly closed-minded) peeves is the current stream of "here's the color version, and here's the very same image in black-and-white..."
    You know, I don't know the process of her work or what she does in the darkroom/computer exactly, plus it's a lo-res image... you can see it better on the homepage www.focusmag.info. Bigger version of the cover. It's definitely not black and white though.