Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome and Florence

Arrow Rome and Florence

I am on the verge of buying a LF camera, and I'm taking a trip to Rome and Florence this Christmas time. I haven't worked in LF before but I have been doing photography for many years. I am also experienced in the darkroom as well. I am looking for some tips tricks and ideas revolving around my trip (try to take film through security? or buy it and dev. there? etc) What kind of gear I should expect to buy, and some good LF cameras I should be looking at. (Right now Im looking at a perfect condition used Toyo-View 45CF with focus hood, lens, and Beattie Bright Screen).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- Jordan

Re: Rome and Florence

If you haven't used LF before, I suggest not planning to take LF equipment on your trip this Christmas.

LF requires a different approach to photography - slower, more disciplined. You spend far more time looking than making pictures. You would be far better off taking your trip with familiar equipment. Then, if you still want to make the LF purchase, do so at a later point when you can devote the time to learning a new approach to photography without the pressure of knowing that you are on a memorable vacation and feeling that you just have to take pictures of everything you see.

As Tillman Crane puts it, the tipping point with LF comes when the pain of seeing a photograph and not capturing it on film exceeds the considerable pain of getting out the camera, setting it up, composing, metering, and then exposing a negative.

Scott Davis

Regardless of which system you take with you, it is perfectly safe and feasible to carry your film on the plane with you; DO NOT CHECK YOUR FILM IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.

If you take LF with you, a field camera is your best option for travel, especially overseas. My advice to you would be to get a camera, any camera, as far in advance of your trip as possible, and spend some time burning through film here where you're comfortable and familiar, to get acquainted with the quirks of the camera. Every camera will have quirks, and you may find after spending some number of hours behind it, that you appreciate, or loathe, its quirks. My recommendation would be NOT the Toyo 45cf - I had a chance to play with one when I was looking at a 45 system, and I did not like it at all. I know it is very light, and carbon fiber is durable, but it FELT plasticky and likely to break. It is also limited in its movements and bellows extension. It would also be more prone to vibration because it is SO light. I would suggest something that takes a Linhof/Wista style lensboard, instead of the Toyo lensboard, because if you get into a system that you find out you don't like, it is much easier to switch systems without having to buy new lensboards. While not truly universal, the Linhof Technika lensboard is the closest thing there is to a universal lensboard out there - if the camera doesn't take them by default, it will take them with a single adapter board.

I would highly recommend as a starter field camera the Shen Hao. It is a bit heavier, but it is very rigid, and very durable. It also has enough movements that you can tie the bellows in knots if you insist. There is an accessory bag bellows (very inexpensive) that will let you use extreme wide-angle lenses on a flat lensboard (down to a 58mm). In Rome and Florence, you will find wide-angle to normal lenses your better friends, because the spaces are very narrow. I would think you'd want lenses from 75 (maybe even as wide as 65) to 210, 240-250 on the outside for something a little longer than normal. A decent three lens kit for places like Florence and Rome would be 75-90-150, or 90-135-210 if you tend to run to the longer in your personal vision. If your budget (and back) will allow it, you can bump that out to a 5 lens set - 75-90-150-210-240.

Toyo CFs are kind of plastic-y.

Get a handheld, rangefinder focused Crown Graphic (one lens) and some Grafmatic film holders and shoot Tri-X handheld and don't get all anal about it. Get a Calumet Changing Room to load film on the road. Practice before you go of course.

How cool! I don't know how quickly you'll get the hang of LF but it is certainly possible! As far as buying a camera for travelling goes I think it would depend on your mode of travelling. Getting around in Iialian cities to me means walking (a lot) so a lightwieght camera would be my choice.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Sorry to say that Christmas time is not the best period to visit Florence and Rome and take pictures with LF.
    There will be crowded of tourists and many "Christmas lights" will be hanging in the centre...........LF equipment seems to me too cumbersome in the middle of the Italians during the Christmas shopping
    Good luck anyway.
    My suggestions is for a Shan Hao wide bag bellows and a medium tripod with 75, 135, 210 lenses or 90, 150, 240. With these you will cover the 90% of the towns pictures.
    If you want to buy B&W films, this could be the right address: http://www.fotomatica.it/
    for Colour films:
    www.unionfotomarket.it/
    If you need more....ask
    Ciao

Thanks for your expedient replies.

As far as "learning LF" goes, I dont think I'll have too much trouble. Mostly because I wont be at it alone, my professors at my school have been shooting LF over 50 years, and are very well respected. I meet with them all the time and I have been shooting film photography for years as well as 16mm film with the Bolex, CP, Arri S and on...

Photography is in my blood, and the idea that setting up the photograph and taking large amounts of time for detail and anal precision is nothing new to me at all. Even when I am photographing digitally, I spend a lot of time with my image before I capture it. I'm only 22, but I live through my images.

Also, I am not taking this LF camera with the idea that it is going to just be a point and shoot. I plan on scouting locations and dedicating large amounts of time to each photo. This isn't about getting a LF negative of the famous roman buildings, its about capturing the specificity of visual cues and subtle arcs that truly take me to a different place. Rome and Florence are not about big old buildings, its about the specific quality of culture and surrounding aura of the place. That is what I want to capture through my own visual aesthetic. Anyone can take a photo in monument valley, but it takes a photography to capture its essence.

I am thinking about carrying the film on my person, and using film holders and changing bags, also I was told about the "ready loads" or "quick loads" but Im not sure if they are made for B&W anymore, and if they were, I heard they were around 100 speed.... which is unfeasible for this sort of already ambitious venture.

Thanks for your input, all, and I look forward to learning more.

I just returned from six months in Italy two and one half months ago. I am scheduled to return to Italy in two weeks.

I realize that the idea of LF has captured your imagination but I agree with what those who have advised against LF at this time of year in Italy and at the beginning of using large format on such an important trip. It will take you some time to get used to composing images on the ground glass that are upside down and reversed for one thing...to do it with a bunch of people milling around you is another thing entirely.

If you have no plans of photographing structures but rather capturing the culture, than I would recommend shooting with a hand held smaller camera and format. You will become totally frustrated by the impatient nature of Italians who are having to deal with some damned tourist with a large camera.

I shot digital during my six months there. With that capture, I can adjust perspective in PS and I can capture images that I could never gain with my 5X7. From digital capture I can make enlarged negatives and make pt-pd prints from my digital capture. I could do the same thing shooting medium format film and scanning to arrive at enlarged negs with the same final output.

It all depends on whether you want to have a pleasant and worthwhile photographic experience or if you want memories rife with frustration and difficulty. The Caribinarri frown on tourists that impose their presence on their citizenry.

Good luck and good light.

Donald Miller,
    Thanks for your valuable input, I'll give a little more detail on my plans.

I plan to take my digital SLR, my 35mm SLR, and my (tba) LF. I am not planning on shooting exclusively LF by any means, I also do not plan on lugging my LF around for "just in case" type shoots.

Anywhere I take my LF camera, I will have been there before. There is still a chance I will not shoot on it at all during my stay, pending such issues as you all have all generously and courteously provided. But I don't think I can withhold from myself from, at least, the possibility of capturing a few images in my "youth of LF" while in Italy. I feel that the value of these photographs will definitely outweigh their quality, but that is something I have obviously considered and fully understand.

But, as you can see here, I feel that as a simple duty to my passion, I must gain as much information about this great task (as possible) so I can make a fully informed decision.

I highly value and appreciate all of your input. And I thank you especially for reaffirming each other's ideas and suggestions.

Sincerely,
    Jordan

P.S., you all speak of the intense learning curve, and also the amount of time it takes to set up and take a single photograph... While I realize asking you "how long..." is an utterly pointless question because of all the variables, but if you had any more insight, that would be helpful as well. (and not to be a lazy person, but if there are also any productive threads/sites on these [understandably broad] topics, those links would be appreciated as well.)

You can gain proficiency very quickly with intensive practice before leaving for Europe. You can even practice swings and tilts indoors, and do dry runs through all of the steps required; compose, focus, tilt, refocus, stop-down, close aperture, load film holder, meter scene, set shutter speed, cock shutter, remove darkslide, shoot, replace darkslide. Run through this sequence a few times without film, otherwise you are bound to blow a few sheets at the beginning, everyone does.