(From a long time lurker that never has asked a question.)

I am considering several options for getting into large format panorama photogra phy and producing platinum/palladium and/or Azo contact prints. My biggest quan daries are the format size I should use, and what camera.

As I get older, I do not have the capacity to carry too much excess weight, and really don't want to have to have an assistant (wife) with me all the time for t he largest sizes, although 7x17 and 12x20 are beautiful. There is also the prob lem of long term availability of film and paper in these odd sizes. I am leanin g heavily toward the 4x10 format for several reasons. Weight, availability of fi lm and paper (I assume I will always be able to get something in 8x10 and cut it in half), and the fact that I have lenses that will work nicely in this size ar e the plusses. The minuses are that some people have told me that they think th is size is too small for effective contact prints. I like smaller prints, but a m so near-sighted that I always get real close to look at a print critically any way.

So, does anybody have any thoughts on this and what brand camera? I am leaning to the Canham, but Lotus, Wisner and Tachihara also make 4x10 cameras. Are ther e others? Please share your thoughts.