Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dust busting nightmare

jetcode

dust busting nightmare

The scans I am getting are just clogged with dust. What are the techniques do you use to reduce dust in a scan?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: dust busting nightmare

I use a large 'blow bulb/rocket' and give the glass a good puffing of air and the down-side of the negative just before I place the negative down. I do the same with the next negative (I scan two 4x5s at a time), then I blow off the lid and the top of the negatives in the fully opened position, then just before the lid closes all the way (only a few inches open) I give another good puffing of air in there to make sure nothing settles down on the film as I close the lid.

That seems to work quite well for my 4x5s.

If the dust is stuck to the negatives so that a puff of air doesn't loosen the dust, I suppose some sort of soft brush could work as well?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I brush the glass with an anti-static brush and then gently close the cover. Before I began using the brush it was a spotting nightmare for me also.

Aside from brushing and spraying with canned air before scanning, both negative and the scanner, I try to minimize the dust from collecting on the scanner itself by keeping a plastic cover on it at all times when not in use.
    You can also look here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=dust
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-spotting.html

Wet Scanning helps a whole lot...

Doug Dolde

This is kind of a lousy answer because I haven't actually tried one since i send all my film out for scanning.

But Kinetronics makes several sizes of anti static film cleaners. I'd look at the KSE models.

http://www.kinetronics.com

Use a big anti-static brush and brush the scanner plate each time as well. I have a 12" brush that I keep by the scanner.

A computer servicing blower vacuum with a concentrator attachment to focus air works far better than any of the usual canned air products. I've been cleaning my optical parts and film for a couple decades using something like this:

http://www.demco.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWE...BLK921&STA0000

...David Senesac

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    The scans I am getting are just clogged with dust. What are the techniques do you use to reduce dust in a scan?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    I keep my desk / work area clean and try to dust it often. I also have a big rubberized printer cover that fits over my V750 and keep that in place all the time when I'm not scanning. I also keep all my negative carriers in their original plastic bags in a clean drawer of a desk near my scanning area, and only take them out briefly when I'm using them.

And of course I use a rubber bulb blower on the glass and negative and holder before scanning (and after, before putting everything away).

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    Depends on how you are scanning.... If you're wet-mounting with Kami or other types of mounting fluid, dust typically isn't a major issue (at least in my experience).

If you are not using a wet-mounting system, I recommend you try cleaning the transparency or negative with PEC-12 immediately before scanning. That should get rid of fingerprints, dust, etc.

Dust is the bane of all large-format photographers, there is only so much you can do, but if the room you are scanning in has a major dust problem, I'd recommend keeping the scanner wrapped in plastic at all times. I did this with my Nikon Coolscan 9000 when I was shooting medium format, and I never had dust as a problem after that.