Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Velvia 50 vs. Velvia 100

Re: Velvia 50 vs. Velvia 100

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Well Marko,

For the life of you, you may not see any difference, but for the life of me, I do.

Dave
    Dave, I understand that. That's probably because you're more vested in it than I am.

But - that's why I'm asking the question. There's no harm in that, and no need to get nervous or disdainful.

We all have our areas of interest, those of particular interest and those of, well, marginal interest. Our knowledge about each is likely to be proportionate to the level of intensity, so that's why we have this board - to exchange knowledge and experience, no?

Marko,

I told you my feelings on these films, not much more I can do, I have never chose film based on Scientific numbers, I have always tested and chose the one that is pleasing to me, Velvia 50 (the original) was very pleasing to me and I used it almost exclusively for most of my wildlife & Landscape career...No nerves or disdain..just didn't have much more to say. I don't feel the need to analyze it to death..

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Whether it's Velvia 50 or 100F, it can all be enhanced in Photoshop. Therefore no need to debate what is slowly becoming all oranges.
    That is plain nonsense.

" and didn't realize that velvia 50 had come back."

As Ted Harris said, get a copy of the July 07 issue of View Camera to see side by side comparisons.

steve simmons

Copied from the FS thread:

Anyone who has shot RVP-100 and RVP-50 side by side would not claim they are similar. RVP-50 does not block up shadow detail nearly as bad as RVP-100, it does not exageratte reds to the point of smearing subtle tonalities, whites are neutral (not magenta) and despite the lower RMS of RVP-100, it does not have the resolution of Velvia 50. Take the same image on both emulsions and stick a 3x loupe on the chrome. Anyone with decent eyesight will see the resolution differences right away. If you cannot see it at 3x, then slap a 6x on those puppies and the difference is night and day. This will make a difference in a scan. Frankly, RVP-100 is the worse emulsion I've ever used. If it is so good, then why would Fuji bother to resurrect RVP-50? When I need a 100 speed film, E100VS is a much better choice. Even with an RMS of 11, it is still sharper than RVP-100, and in fact I would go so far to say that on the light table, E100VS colors "glow" a bit more than RVP-50. There is an element of "pop and sizzle" with E100VS that I have not observed in any other emulsion. Resolution wise though, RVP-50 is king. I might add that having shot well over a hundred sheets of the new emulsion, it is a true ISO 50 film.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    That is plain nonsense.
    And this is, of course, only your opinion. Other people may well have a very different opinion, and many indeed do. Everybody has one, as the saying goes.

Following your logic, your opinion would also be plain nonsense from their point of view. And who's to say who's right, if anybody?

Whether it's Velvia 50 or 100F, it can all be enhanced in Photoshop. Therefore no need to debate what is slowly becoming all oranges.

If this is truly the case just use a small point and shoot and then fix it in Photoshop.

steve simmons

Let's keep this from turning into yet another film v. digital argument. Let's also try not to throw too many stones at each other. No useful information gets exchanged that way.

I've been using Velvia for years, also E100VS since it came out and find the comments on the two films right on. What I'd like to hear is how those that have never used Velvia, or E100VS, feel about it after they have gone out and tried it. Disneychrome, or something that meets a specific need? Now, that could be an interesting discussion.

I agree Ted,

Trying it is the key to understanding it...

Dave

I will certainly not disagree about the power of personal experience.

But if the difference is indeed so pronounced and significant as the reaction to the intial question indicates, then it surely could be put in words if not exactly ratinalized. At least enough so that some of us with only an academic interest would actually feel a desire to go out and try. Not to mention willingness to pay for the experiment.

This is a discussion board, after all, which also allows posting images. I don't see what's preventing a meaningful discussion.