Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advertising experiences

Re: Advertising experiences

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    Don, this is very simple. There's making money and making profit. There have been photographers who sold their photography for less money than what you have and have made profit off of advertising and, as I mentioned, there have been photographers who have sold their photography for far more and failed to make a profit. I don't guarantee anything, but I give you a better chance than any other advertising option. Advertising isn't a sure thing, but nothing in life is.
    Sorry - losing money is not "making money". Saying "making money" when it could be "losing money" is simply being deceitful. Making money is, by definition, making a profit.

By your definition, if I go and ask someone to split a $100 bill by giving me 4X $20s as change, that's making money. It ain't. Never has been. Never will be.

Increasing revenue is not "making money". Increasing profit is.

Its not making money, it is called recouping investment, they invested in an ad, they are selling product to recoup the cost of that ad, once they exceed, the cost of the ad, the cost of materials and time, then they are making money, you don't make money until such time as you have recovered all associated costs..

Dave

Must be interesting to run a business and not know that "making money=profit".

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    I think we're just splitting heirs. It's your definition of the term vs. mine. Profit isn't making money to me, profit is making profit. If I make money, I'm adding to the money I have. You have your definition. I have mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    And say "I have not way to prove this, you will have to trust me!"

Sounds more political than profitable!

I think we're just splitting heirs. It's your definition of the term vs. mine. Profit isn't making money to me, profit is making profit. If I make money, I'm adding to the money I have. You have your definition. I have mine.
    David,

It is simple accounting 101, I spend $3500 on an ad, $100 on materials, sell a print for $400, I am still in the hole by $3200! Its not Don's Definition or your Definition, it is accountings Definition of "Making Money"!

Making money is defined as when your profit exceeds your expenditure, then you are making money! Simple accounting!

Making a Sale and Making money it two entirely different things! You can make a sale, without making money, that is called recouping your investment, another simple accounting term!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    David,

It is simple accounting 101, I spend $3500 on an ad, $100 on materials, sell a print for $400, I am still in the hole by $3200! Its not Don's Definition or your Definition, it is accountings Definition of "Making Money"!

Making money is defined as when your profit exceeds your expenditure, then you are making money! Simple accounting!

Making a Sale and Making money it two entirely different things! You can make a sale, without making money, that is called recouping your investment, another simple accounting term!
    I just looked it up online. The official definition of making money is.... *drumroll please* "To gain or acquire money."

I win. David, you owe me a large waffle cone of tasti-d-lite chocolate pudding flavor with crushed oreos or a cup of Ciao Bella chocolate madness with chocolate chips please.

I just looked it up online. The official definition of making money is.... *drumroll please* "To gain or acquire money."

I win. David, you owe me a large waffle cone of tasti-d-lite chocolate pudding flavor with crushed oreos or a cup of Ciao Bella chocolate madness with chocolate chips please.

You win what, you have won nothing, you have cited no source for your claimed win, I was taught in accounting, that in order to make money, you had to gain your investment and not loose money, if you have not exceeded your outgo, I don't care what your claimed source says, you are not making money, that is, unless you are printing it yourself.

Read this one, dopey...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/To+make+money

It Says:

"to gain or acquire money or property; to make a profit in dealings."

Notice the word Profit!

David (FocusMag)

The point I was making is this: if you have no idea if any of your "advertisers" actually made a profit - claiming that they "made money" is being deceitful - that implies that their advertising with you was profitable, which by your own subsequent admission, you don't know. Claim they increased their revenue or whatever. Make an attempt to be honest.

WG

Why all the mean spirited name calling here?