Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And now for something a little bit different...5X14 Camera!

Re: And now for something a little bit different...5X14 Camera!

Congrats Jim, that is an awesome beautiful camera and what a nice format. Looks like it is a keeper with your name engraved or is that just to increase resale value

Jim,

I find some of your pictures really enchanting. I don't know it's Jim Galli's touch or the unique format. Maybe it's both. No, I am not getting another camera, but I do feel the temptation. It's crazy. It's not me only. I have people asking me how long the waiting time for a 5x14. I told them them to consider Chamonix 4x10 instread, easy-to-find films and no waiting time.

Thamks for posting those wonderful shots!

Why am I thinking that your next project might be to make traditional enlargements from those negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Why am I thinking that your next project might be to make traditional enlargements from those negatives?
    Well, I just bought a Chromega F, but I'd have to build a special light box and modify the carrier level a bunch.........a 20X56 would be nice eh??

What are you thinking for film? I can't think of any good way to cut film for it that doesn't yield a significant bit of waste. Even splitting it from 11x14 yields a 1x14 strip of waste. That's almost a sheet of 4x5 in area.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    What are you thinking for film? I can't think of any good way to cut film for it that doesn't yield a significant bit of waste. Even splitting it from 11x14 yields a 1x14 strip of waste. That's almost a sheet of 4x5 in area.
    1" is like the width of 35mm film... 1x14 would be some panorama!

Or perhaps get five of those and stack them together for a special effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Chris, there's a method to my madness. I have a lifetime supply of Kodak Panatomic X up in the freezer. It is aerial recon film on 4mil estar base rolled in mostly 200' X 5" rolls. Some are longer. So I just roll out 14 inches and chop. I also have some but not a lot of Kodak aerial recon Plus X. It's great film. A little hard to handle the contrast sometimes. That was one reason I jumped on it Saturday. Overcast most of the day. The folks at Chamonix warned me that no one else would want this camera because of the film issue. The way film is going, I may be the last guy on earth shooting some.

Dave Karp

Beautiful camera Jim. Enjoy it.

Ahhh, now your name on the front makes a little more sense Jim

Thanks Jim,
    These are the nicest looking wood cameras I have sen so far. My Ebonies are not finished quite as nicely. I lifted your images, I have a collection of photos of all the view cameras I have been able to find in the last few years, mostly from eBay. Someday these designs may all disappear and the pics will be a nice reference..TTYL..Evan Clarke