Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focus Ansco film holders versus Fidelity Elite/Deluxe...?

Re: Focus Ansco film holders versus Fidelity Elite/Deluxe...?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
    MAN! I appreciate this thread. Really, really!
    I had experienced the same issue, sorta. I noticed that shooting sort DOF shots, that some were coming out good, and others were "kinda fuzzy". I figured it was just grand-dad's poor eyes, or camera movement, or shakey fingers loading the holder, etc.
    My holders are all F-G woodies. Have cleaned them, kept them taped good, etc,etc. Never even thought about difference in depths on them. At one time, I thought problem might be in FP/Lens spacing, but still, some shots were coming out decent, some not so good. Last evening, I got them all out, and started checking, and out of about 15 or so holders, there is indeed nearly 1/16 inch difference from the "thinnest" to the "thickest" holder. All same type holder! No need to mic them! If film plane is near center, and holders are overall different thickness... Damn!! Talk about feeling stupit! I would have never even thunked that one.
    Thanks a lot, horsten! Guess now I gotta figure out which ones work and which ones need to be either chunked or fixed. Damn!
    The thickness of the holder isn't so critical Randy, the important thing is that the holder holds the film on the same plane are the aerial image thats projected on te inside of the ground glass before you inserted the film holder---thats what you're focusing on. The "center" is where the septum dwells and the measurement you want is the distance between the septum + the thickness of the film and the face of the light trap where the back on your camera rests, which should equal the distance between the inside focus plane) of your camera's back and the face of the light trap. Save your self some work and use your holders first. If a film holder yields chronically out of focus negatives, then get out the measuring stick
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Maybe I'm confusing you.
    All the overall thickness does is move the ground glass out of the way when the film holder is inserted. At that point you aren't focusing on the ground glass---you can't even see through the ground glass. If you can fit the holder under the spring back and the locking ridge holds it in place then you're in pretty good shape as far as overall thickness goes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Maybe I'm confusing you.
    All the overall thickness does is move the ground glass out of the way when the film holder is inserted. At that point you aren't focusing on the ground glass---you can't even see through the ground glass. If you can fit the holder under the spring back and the locking ridge holds it in place then you're in pretty good shape as far as overall thickness goes.
    I think I understand what you are saying. But, if the dimensions from the septum face to the surface of the holder on the lens side is off, would that not throw the lens/FP distance off, due to the variance between GG and the holders FP?

And yep, I willl probably just do some test shots with paper with each of the holders, more as a precautionary measure. Paper is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying. But, if the dimensions from the septum face to the surface of the holder on the lens side is off, would that not throw the lens/FP distance off, due to the variance between GG and the holders FP?

And yep, I willl probably just do some test shots with paper with each of the holders, more as a precautionary measure. Paper is cheap.
    Right, but you'd also have to compensate for the thickness of the film, so when you measure the distance have a piece of sacrificial film in situ is in order.

FWIW I have seen many old 8x10 holders with impressed double walled septums as well as those with a single piece of aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    FWIW I have seen many old 8x10 holders with impressed double walled septums as well as those with a single piece of aluminium.
    Cool Learn something new everyday. Never thought of that, but since you mentioned it, I just recently sold my 8X10, and had some holders that indeed did have a "ribbed", or double-thickness septum. A couple flat, and a couple that had a "piece" about 1/2 inch wide down the center. Now I'm gonna have to check out "ALL" my holders and see if I have any like that. Most of mine (all sizes) are old woodies. Curious now if any others may be like that.

Thanks for the info. I probably would have just continued on in stupit-ness without thinking about those issues.

Hi everybody and thank's a lot for your information!
    I was away one week and could'nt reply to the thread. I'm not sure why using these old ansco filmholders and the new film I got sharp(er) images, but I have now to try out different combinations (new film on new holders for instance!).

I'll let you know what I find out...

cheers and thank's again

Torsten