Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sinaron se and apo sironar s are they really the same?

sinaron se and apo sironar s are they really the same?

I know that Sinaron, Caltar are all made by Rodenstock.
    I have this question because yesterday I look at a 150 sinaron se(111XXXXX) and a 135 rodenstock apo sironar s(114XXXXX) side by side, and find out that the coating on the apo sironar s is much warmer than the sinaron se, both front cell and rear cell. Is it because of usage or something else?

Re: sinaron se and apo sironar s are they really the same?

Probably the manufacturing process. I had 2 150mm Sironar-s lenses side by side and the coatings were completely different. The same thing with 2 90mm f8 SW Nikkor lenses that I had.

I was talking with a commercial photog once, and he said that at some point he was buying a case of sinaron lenses direct because they promised that they would be consistent wrt color---so yea, it's probably the variations in production.

I hope so. I just got a Sinar SE 150mm.

As far as I know they are one in the same. Bob Salomon of HP should step in here. But, be aware that the Apo Sironar S f5.6 150mm lens have been in production for quite some time now. Mine dates back to as I recall 1994 so there has probably been some tweaking to the lens and the coatings during this long period of time.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

The Sinaron SE is bascially a cherry picked and individually tested Sironar-S. I own several Sinaron SE lenses and they came with their own MTF charts, that is the MTF chart for the actual lens I bought. So basically what they are doing is eliminating product variability and setting a higher quality acceptance level.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    The Sinaron SE is bascially a cherry picked and individually tested Sironar-S. I own several Sinaron SE lenses and they came with their own MTF charts, that is the MTF chart for the actual lens I bought. So basically what they are doing is eliminating product variability and setting a higher quality acceptance level.
    No they aren't. They use the same Rodenstock Siemens Star projector that is used at the Rodenstock factory for QC. The results are identical.

The only unique thing Sinar did was to properly center the lens on the Sinar board. They did nothing to test the lens other then what Linhof and Rodenstock does.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeep View Post
    I was talking with a commercial photog once, and he said that at some point he was buying a case of sinaron lenses direct because they promised that they would be consistent wrt color---so yea, it's probably the variations in production.
    We have delivered both Rodenstock and Schneider lenses to studios that were color matched at each factory, not a big deal if the user requests it at the time of purchase. It will take longer to deliver and will probably cost more due to today's rate of exchange since they would not be in current inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    No they aren't. They use the same Rodenstock Siemens Star projector that is used at the Rodenstock factory for QC. The results are identical.

The only unique thing Sinar did was to properly center the lens on the Sinar board. They did nothing to test the lens other then what Linhof and Rodenstock does.
    Bob, that was what I thought. But how about the different coating? One is clearly warmer than the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post

Bob, the Sinaron lenses I own came with a rather extensive series of MTF charts, the serial number on the mtf charts matched the serial numbers on each lens. Does Rodenstock supply MTF charts of each lens they sell? because with the other Rodenstock lenses I own not one of them came with it's own test chart. While Sinar may use the same testing equipment, they can also choose to select and sell lenses that fall within tighter specifications, that is less lens to lens variation.