Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
I believe in always going for the best you can as you never know where an image might end up appearing. I've done ads that were supposed to run as single pages, and then see them end up as spreads, posters, even bill boards.

Ted, Why did you scan Kirk's work on the IQ3 instead of the Cezanne? Does that indicate a preference for the IQ3?
First, heed Brian's words there is a lot of truth there. OTOH if photography is a casual hobby then you shouldn't even be thinking of these scanners ... just send 'em out when you need one. If, OTOH, you make any part of your living from photography (or anything else for that matter) the extent to which you differentiate yourself from the crowd is the extent to which you will stand above the crowd. Short example .... for a number of years I made some 6000 to 8000 a year selling notecards at Christmas Fairs (may do it this year again). Several years ago my stand was setup directly across the room from the stand of another photographer. I could see everything that was going on at her stand. My cards were all from 4x5 or 6x9 originals, well scanned and PS edited then printed by me on an Epson R800 on good quality cardstock. They were boxed with envelopes and sold for $20 a box for 10 cards. That was a profit (not counting my time) of $11.85 per box. Her cards were selling for the same price but were not as nicely boxed and were offset printed cards from not always well handled 35mm slides (she's not an amateur either, she is one of the better known portrait photogs around town). She sold a box or two and one larger print. I sold 300 boxes, got two commissions and sold 20 or so 8x10's. Does that make the point that taking the time to do it right pays off?

Brian, no favorite one over the other. The IQsmart is a hair faster for batch scanning but only a hair. Since I responded to your email I have been thinking about scanning workflow and the bottom line is I probably went to the Creo because the server was already booted up on the drive for the Creo. You are right though that I do need to do a solid one-to-one comparison.