Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography-Owning Artistry

Re: Photography-Owning Artistry

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I take pride in the fact that my images do not look like what I saw. They are aesthetic interpretations.
    Isn't that what some people are actually doing be selecting say Velvia and Ciba? THey are using the materials available to best present an artistic interpretaion of the landscape that is before them.

I believe that Chris Burkett that I mentioned above, (who I understand to be a deeply religious person - he was going to be a monk at one point in his life), has used masking with Ciba to intensify selected colors in his prints. While Burkett has the skills and finesse to not blow out and oversaturate parts of his prints, he's doing just as you said above.
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 24-Oct-2007 at 12:55. Reason: formatting

Quote Originally Posted by harrykauf View Post
    Just because you keep repeating this statement does not make is any less
    illogical.
    How do you know how I see color? You are making a false assumption that everyone sees colors the same way. You might have noticed that some people are color blind, some to varying degrees and specific colors. That in itself should show that color perception is variable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    As an athiest, you'll never hear me claim that I've documented "god's light". My religion forbids me from making such claims.
    That is your right, just as it is my right to be thankful for the glorious world, that I believe was created by God.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    You hit the proverbial nail right on the head.
    Yep - I agree also.

alanps

I may be missing something here - but it is all about interpretation surely? I don't care how good a crafts person you are it is not possible to capture nature, simply to select an abstract moment and somehow try to freeze that on film.
    When I am out photographing, I don't just point at the horizon in front of me, I make many careful selections - I am influenced by the wind, my feelings, what surrounds me (not just what is in front of me) etc
    For what it is worth I cannot stand oversaturated ciba prints either, but that is an aesthetic thing - because I do love the colors from a 5x4 polaroid print (that are not natural either - but look better to my eye).

Quote Originally Posted by alanps View Post
    For what it is worth I cannot stand oversaturated ciba prints either, but that is an aesthetic thing - because I do love the colors from a 5x4 polaroid print (that are not natural either - but look better to my eye).
    That is the point I have been trying to make. We don't all see colors the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    You are making a false assumption that everyone sees colors the same way.
    Some believe that even the same person sees (and remembers) things more vividly if they are in a certain state, such as having an intense physical activity. This would have explained why Galen Rowell tended to like saturated colors so much, since he was running half of the time in the mountains.

As an athiest, you'll never hear me claim that I've documented "god's light". My religion forbids me from making such claims.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! One of the funniest statements I have read in a long time...made my day!

And of course that someone took you seriously only adds to my joy!

Thanks again!

Vaughn

Though an agnostic (to be differentiated from an atheist) myself and trained in Geology and Biology, I can appreciate what I see and work with the light and gravitate toward certain subjects and lighting conditions.

My work does frequently get comments regarding God and religion and tends to get much the same reaction from people of many faiths and Native Americans. I do not know why this is the case, perhaps it is my approach to the subject matter and lighting. But, I have had 2 separate solo exhibits at the Interchurch Center Gallery (NYC, across the street from Riverside Church and headquarters of many faiths; 2 separate exhibits years apart) and a third at an Episcopal Church all through invitation.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I think we need to take same measuring tape for Black and White amnipulation as well. Why do you use red filter for landscape? Why do you dodge and burn to create surreal landscapes? AA did the same as people do with Velvia and CIBA. Using best process, chemistry film and paper it is available on the market.

I think it's time to look into our portfolios as well; We're not far from what color folks do.
    Last edited by SAShruby; 24-Oct-2007 at 14:53. Reason: I just hate typing on my keyboard
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca