Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

Re: Traditional photography

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    The majority of film labs that have 35mm 1 hour processing can also process 120 film, the machine is the same, the process is the same, I can get 35mm or 120 processed in E-6 in about an hour here locally and I live in a small town, it depends on IF the people running the lab are training their people correctly, but there is virtually no difference in the two film sizes..as far as processing goes...

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to the processing capabilities of these machines. However, it's more of an issue of whether they "will" process 120 inside an hour or not.

I don't know of too many places here in Vancouver that WILL do 120 processing in an hour.

However, I stand to be corrected.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Hi Dave,

I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to the processing capabilities of these machines. However, it's more of an issue of whether they "will" process 120 inside an hour or not.

I don't know of too many places here in Vancouver that WILL do 120 processing in an hour.

However, I stand to be corrected.

Cheers
    Hi,

I can't understand why they would not do it, like I said, the lab here locally does it in an hour for me! Now, it may be because I worked there for several years and know what it takes to do it, but we used to do it for others when I worked there, so I can't imagine I am getting special treatment.

Dave

AFAIK, most one hour places don't have the right reels to process 120. Why would they? If you are running the photo lab at the local Rite Aid, why would you try and convince your boss to buy that reel?

Canon is apparently hard at work on a 40 megapixel DSLR. I see the new IDS Mk III having a big impact on the medium format digital sector. There are fewer and fewer viable platforms to mount the increasingly expensive digital backs on. Hasselblad has just closed off their system with the new H3D's and what are you gonna mount your Phase back onto? I think the trend of "amateurs" buying up cheap used medium format equipment and the resurgence of interest in LF bodes well for the future of LF film. Sure, the processing side of it will see some heavy consolidation, but so what? Keep shooting....

W.

The machine, I worked on in the lab, did not require any special reels, it was simply a small canister that we used for both 120 and 220 film, it was a noritisu and they cost about $3.50 each, we took the film off the 120 reel in a counter top darkbox, put in the canister, taped to the edge of the card and inserted into the processing machine, be it E6 or C41, our local walmart, and walgreens both have them as they are not expensive and the film runs the same way as 35mm film..

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Hi,

I can't understand why they would not do it, like I said, the lab here locally does it in an hour for me! Now, it may be because I worked there for several years and know what it takes to do it, but we used to do it for others when I worked there, so I can't imagine I am getting special treatment.

Dave
    Dave,

Admittedly, I haven't shot 120 for a number of years. So, who knows? Perhaps, you're right and they've changed things.

The next time I'm by a 1-hour photo lab... I'll stop in and ask.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I believe that digital has been very good for the LF sheet film industry. DSLR people who are maturing as serious photographers are looking for a better solution that is more powerful and distinguishes them from the millions of other DSLR people. LF photography is becoming just the ticket. I believe there currently is very strong growth for LF cameras. Here is some data points to support this.

1. I just returned from a three week fall shoot in Colorado. Last year I met up with nine 4x5 LF photographers. This year my tally sheet said I bumped into 57 LF photographers. Three of them were shooting 8x10s, and two were using 11x14s. The rest were shooting 4x5. I was the only one who was shooting 5x7 and 4x10. It seemed every time I turned the corner there was a LF photographer. I suspect next year will even be better. If I could only buy stock in a LF camera company, I would do it in a heart beat.

2. Before I left for my trip I read an article in the local newspaper about how Kodak surveyed 12,000 (I think it was that many) professional photographers about their personal preference for film or digital. 70% said they preferred film over digital, and when there clients had no preference, then they used film.

3. I am investigating purchasing an Ebony SV810U camera from Badger Graphics sometime in March. I just received email from them stating that Ebony is very very busy and to allow at least eight weeks to receive the order. I am also looking at a Lotus, and they said basically the same thing.

4. It is a seven hour commute through the mountains of Colorado to visit my newly wed daughter in Durango. I made two trips so far this year, and each time I saw at least one LF guy making magic on the road side. This has never happened before.

Based I my own personal observations, I believe the future for LF photography is bright and sunny, and there is nothing to worry about.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Dave,

Admittedly, I haven't shot 120 for a number of years. So, who knows? Perhaps, you're right and they've changed things.

The next time I'm by a 1-hour photo lab... I'll stop in and ask.

Cheers
    Well, this is just another example of many, making statement without knowing for sure what the local labs in Vancouver can do or cannot do. Taking sides is not a qualitative contribution to any conversation.

Quite Sad.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    Well, this is just another example of many, making statement without knowing for sure what the local labs in Vancouver can do or cannot do. Taking sides is not a qualitative contribution to any conversation.

Quite Sad.
    Peter,

LOL... I hope your "qualitative" statement made your day!
    Life in the fast lane!

Convert to LF

No please, give us at least 20 years! My fridge is full of those!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    Well, this is just another example of many, making statement without knowing for sure what the local labs in Vancouver can do or cannot do
    I live in a larger major metro area, we have two labs left that process 120 in-house. None that "WILL" do anything larger. I don't necessarily think it is a matter of "ability" of these other places to process it. It is IMO a lack of "willingness" or proper training to do so, of that 18-year-old/minimum-wage/never-seen-nothing-like-that associate behind the glass counter. I took some E6 in to the local WalMart and it took me 20 minutes to convince the person that I really-really "wanted" it processed C41 (particular appearance for shots taken) They kept insisting they would have to send it out to have it processed. That's cool.
    Long live LF and home darkrooms.